add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How do I know my computer is throttling?

asianoodleman
  • 10 months ago

Hi all, I just wanted to know if my computer is throttling. It had completely shutdown yesterday after I was afk for about 30 minutes. Its never bluescreened. When I run the stress test on cinebench r20 I got a score of 2714, the temps hit max of 82 degrees. On idle my computer runs at 40-50 degrees which is a bit high for me personally.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/GB9zV6 this is my pc

Comments

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately, this generation of Ryzen chips ship with a less beefy cooler then that of the last generation. High temperatures on idle and load are somewhat to be expected, however you can adjust your fan curve in the bios to improve them slightly. Your cinebench score is nothing out of the ordinary, which makes me think that you aren't throttling.

My recommendations;

• Go to your bios, and set your fan curve to something more aggressive. There should be some presets, and figure out which one is best for you. I never recommend presets along the lines of "quiet" because they cause your CPU to run a bit too toasty

• Possibly check if your cooler is tightened down all the way. If it is too loose, not enough heat may be transferring between your chip and your cooler

• Apply a new batch of thermal paste

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

I adjusted my fan curves to be

35 degree/20% 55/45% 70/65% 83/90%

Is this a good fan curve?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

The 2600 has a 10C temp offset so your actually running cooler than you think. Also a lot of the boards add more voltage than is needed you could try to lower it some.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php is most accurate program for Ryzen and shows both temps

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

82 Degrees is hot and close to overheating, but i believe throttling begins at 85C usually, idle at 40-50 is average

throttling doesn't cause your PC to shutdown, it causes stuttering

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

82 was only at the peak when running cinebench r20. Gaming my CPU averages 55-60 degrees and gpu 40-55

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

then it should be fine. no throttling

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're running any kind of hardware monitor program, you'd see your core speeds dip somewhere when your temps (either core temps or VRM temps) get too high. That would be throttling.

Your system shutting down completely is a different matter. Maybe check your PSU?

• 10 months ago
  • 1 point

For the shutting down.

Go to power options , click on plan settings over the preferred plan you are checked , and change to never shut down or the option you want.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube