add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Shouldn't these be cheaper by now?

codezer0

5 days ago

Preface: yeah, this is just me waxing and ranting a little. Please pardon it.

Considering the amount of videos out there (not least of which, several by Tech Yes City alone on the subject), showing being able to get an x58 or x79 xeon for a song, and basically making an ultra cheap build that still has the performance to handle all but the most unoptimized of modern triple a games, it's just as frustrating and discouraging to see this sort of "market correction" has yet to happen with the x99 platform, that I'm presently on.

Even though it seems boards are cheap enough, the cpu's are still outrageously and offensively priced, especially when you factor in how Ryzen is a thing.

I was hoping to have gone from my 5820k to at least an 8 core part, and remember of Linus talking and showing off a 22core part for the platform that would work with my present board. But even second-hand, prices for such cpu's are within 2% of msrp for a new one. In 2019, still. People still want $1000 for a second-hand 6900K, even though a 16core threadripper can be had for about half that.

Sorry, but that kind of screams price fixing to me. Considering Intel has long since moved on to 8/9th gen mainstream and x299, it seems like they would want to price the x99 stuff to move by now. Simply, why the eff are x99 cpu's still so dang high by comparison? It's nuts, i tell you.

Comments

• 5 days ago
  • 2 points

Not as Nuts as it seems. Without people feeling the need for a platform switch prices stay high on the upper end replacement parts.

AMD almost caught up to Intel in single core performance trailing them by 1-3 generations (Which puts them in direct competition to those older X99 CPU performance wise) give or take depending on the model and competes by adding more cores (The main reason for the CPU on the "X" platform).

Although that takes most of the New purchases anyone on an older X99 platform still has a comparable CPU, and they also have the benefits of the enthusiast platform which still offers a solid or better features set then what is available on the general consumer focused B450/X470/Z390.

Until something either forces people to switch (Dead motherboard/CPU which doesn't help the used market), or offers a meaningful reason to switch from the older platforms (Huge performance increase over their current models which hasn't happened yet), You won't see the massive pricing drops from the market being flooded with obsolete parts.

• 5 days ago
  • 3 points

AMD almost caught up to Intel in single core performance....

I would say... Single thread performance.

Core for Core, AMD is trading blows handily with current gen Intel stuff. It's when we are only running 1 thread per core on those few chips with very high clock speeds where Intel is usually holding a lead.

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

The roles are reversed in this case since we are only looking at X99/X299 so it is actually AMD is using clock speed versus Intel and everything has SMT.

And in either case neither company has offered a reasonable upgrade yet from Haswell-E/Broadwell-E for those already on that platform.

• 4 days ago
  • 2 points

I think you're missing the point I was making.

When we run 1 thread per core, Intel's arrangement of execution resources achieves higher throughput most of the time, even dating back a few generations for many workloads.

When we run 2 threads per core, AMD's wider core architecture levels the playing field. AMD has caught up in per CORE performance, but not single threaded performance.

• 4 days ago
  • 1 point

That is based on having more cores available on the AMD side and software that can leverage the advantage of wider cores without benefitting more from better memory access.

But the poster is looking for 8/10-core models and the software and hardware advantages are hit and miss.

So it still falls back on there not being a reason for people with those 5960X/6900K/6950X to swap out platforms and no real used availability.

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

I mean, x58 and x79 are still relatively expensive unless you get a good deal on them.

Also x99 cpus are quiet a bit harder compared to alot of the older intel platforms.

Why people want them for that high?

No clue xd.

• 3 days ago
  • 1 point

It still winds me up, too. Locally, the last time i did spot one, a second-hand x58 motherboard and cpu together went for $300(+tax). And people wonder why i instead opted for $60 each for an fx 8350 and mATX board.

More recently was another msi x99 board with a 5960x cpu for $400. If i had the cash to spare, i would have got it, to do a platform upgrade for the wife, knowing (morbidly) that the cpu alone (re)sold on eBay for more than that. Unfortunately i just didn't have it to spare at the time.

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

Cannot ignore that sellers, particularly those that make their livelihood buying and selling, have an amount of patience that far exceeds most. They are happy to let something sit unwatched or unwanted months on end until one day John Doe decides to hit Buy it Now. Sellers like me, I want rid, no matter what. I will be selling my i7 7820X soon (I replaced it with the 9980XE), unlike others, my listing will have a buy it now of $300. Difference - I will sell that chip within two to four days, another seller with it priced used at $630 might take months to sell it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube