add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

majormaj

7 months ago

Is 279.99 going to be the lowest price, or will it drop further as the 3rd gen gets closer??

Or, do I need to buy it first in order for the price to drop xD

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

I think the 2700X's will be relatively easier to move than some of the other parts, and therefore I'd expect the price to hold up better. If any of the Ryzen 2's see price drops my money would be on the 2700 (non X), but that's just my personal wild guess and I've no inside information to support it.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I appreciate it, thanks!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

If you need to have a PC now or in foreseeable future, you may as well purchase and build now. Prices will inevitably drop in future (be it next year or even later) but consider the depreciation in the investment to be naturally covered by your usage of the PC. This is one thing I never understood - lets say you build a PC now and the CPU costs "X". Lets say 8 months down the line the CPU costs "Y". If Z = X-Y is the depreciation, lets say in this case it is $50, then you have had 8 months of usage out of your PC for an out of pocket of $50 (or $50 depreciation). Works out at around 21cents a day. That is very cheap given you would likely value this entertainment factor at far greater than 21 cents a day. Heck when we were kids it was nothing to spend 10bucks at Chuck E Cheese's or local arcades once a week. At 4 times less per week, you have a PC you can game on.

Now if you are concerned about value <-> depreciation, go with Intel instead. I sold an i7-7700K used for more than I paid for it new. Intel, oddly, hold value surprisingly well.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a very good point and I agree with what you are saying. I ended up grabbing the 2700x at 279 because while my initial question was if it will go down further, I figured it was down enough for me to capture a deal and be able to begin with my build. Thanks for your input!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd start keeping an eye on retailers now to have combo deals (like Newegg). I noticed after I built my new system that whenever they have a major expo/convention/etc. that most companies have a sales push to bump their numbers.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If anything AMD will get the retailers to raise its price so they don't have to lower pricing on the 3000 series models when those launch and push people into buying the newer hardware at its launch price instead of waiting on further pricing cuts.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a good point. I didn't think of that.

• 7 months ago
  • -1 points

It is what they did with the 2000 series which only started crashing in price recently.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube