add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help Me Decide Please

JimmyBoby

7 months ago

I Have 2x4gb 2113ghz ddr4 Ram Msi Gtx 1060 3gb gpu And I was wondering if I should go with a Ryzen 2400g or a i5 9400f I know that the i5 doesn’t have any graphics built in but I was just wondering which one is better all around

Also was wondering how a micro atx board would look in a mid tower atx case

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

And I was wondering if I should go with a Ryzen 2400g or a i5 9400f I know that the i5 doesn’t have any graphics built in but I was just wondering which one is better all around.

From these two processors, there is one clear winner for every application you can imagine.

i5-9400F

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

With the R5 2400g you are paying extra for the iGPU. The closest competitor to the i5-9400f is the R5 2600 so I would not be looking between the 2400g vs the 9400f in the first place. Though if I had to choose since the iGPU is not needed with a dedicated video card the 9400f wins hands down in every task. The winner between the 2600 and the 9400f depends on overclocking on the 2600, no OC intel wins decent but an OC ryzen can win especially if you nail 4.1-4.2hz all core OC.

With modern APUs today you will not be having them "help out" your main GPU to get higher FPS. That used to be a thing with the old APUs with AMD where they could do crossfire with certain GPUs but those are obsolete by today's standards.

Make sure you get a motherboard with 4 ram slots as 8GB of ram may not be enough for the long run. With 4 slots on the motherboard you can easily get 2x4GB again to make 16GB of ram without having to remove your old ram.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I was in a similar boat recently. Here's, what I thought anyway, a terrific comparison video. On top of this video, you may want to consider future upgrades which will likely favor the AMD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLM5_IhgUcI

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So what did you go with?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, for really no solid reason I can put my finger on I ended up choosing a 9600K. Mostly because I kind of wanted Intel and I kind of wanted to overclock everything I could. I'm happy with it but I also feel I'd be satisfied with either of the others. The hardest thing I ask my computer to do is to play World of Warcraft at 1440p. Any of the mentioned processors would have been more than fine.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I am on a budget and can’t afford the 9600k I was also wondering about if a micro atx motherboard will look fine in a mid tower atx case

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, I believe the speed memory you're running will do better with an Intel processor for whatever that's worth.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

While I rather like AMD's 2400g conceptually the i5-9400f is a far superior purchase if you are going to install a GPU like the 1060 3GB.

Micro ATX board will look fine in a mid tower - I presume yours has a acrylic/tempered glass side panel you can look in. As long as the holes line up (as in tower supports Micro ATX - most do) you will be set.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay thanks for the help... again I decided to go with the i5 because Newegg has a bundle of the i5 and a board I was looking at for $50 off so I’m going with that

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I have a micro atx motherboard in a atx case. It only takes up like 1/4 of the case. Definitely looks out of place. I thin this depends on what you are going to be using the PC for. If you are just going to be gaming than the Intel chip is the way to go. But if you plan on streaming, or doing like a lot of multitasking than I would go with the Ryzen one as they are better at multitasking.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube