add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help booting windows :(

boshartj
  • 12 months ago

Okay, so I just finished building my first pc, power comes on, all fans turn on. I got into the BIOS and everything is accounted for, i set my RAM to be the correct speed. I followed instructions online about how to create a bootable usb drive for windows 10 - I'm wondering if the issue is that I'm downloading it from a macbook? I'll summarize what I did here:

• downloaded the windows 10 iso file from microsofts website
  • used boot camp to create a windows 10 install disk
  • made sure the iso file that i was installing was the right one

And then I had a bootable usb drive (i think?). Next I went into the BIOS and changed the boot order priority 1 to the usb drive that was plugged into the computer at the time, which was the same one I created before. I saved changes and restarted, and this time opened up the boot menu (?) using the F11 key. I chose the device to boot from, and then I got a black screen with a blinking underscore at the top left. It won't go any further than that, and I cannot get out of that screen.

My motherboard is the MSI z370 sli plus, if that helps at all. Can anyone help me out/tell me what i'm missing?

Comments

• 12 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't think creating the image with Bootcamp will give you a bootable installation that will work with anything other than a Mac running Bootcamp.

Do you have access to a Windows PC, where you can use the Windows Installation Media Tool to create a bootable USB?

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

I hope you don't have the issue I had recently, where the USB ports only function properly after Windows is installed and then the USB driver. I had to hunt down a Sata DVD burner and install via a DVD disc and use a PS2 keyboard.

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

if so i can ship one over

• 12 months ago
  • 1 point

ive avoided this and just always purchased the windows 10 pre-installed USB stick lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube