add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NETGEAR PowerLINE 1200 cut electricity to my room

democrachi

7 months ago

Hello all, I recently got myself one of these NETGEAR PowerLINE devices for my computer so that I could get a more stable connection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S6DBGJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I don't fully know how it happened, but I was able to power on my PC, and the PC recognized the LAN connection. I was running a speed and stability test on the PC for about 2 minutes, and then all the power to that room went out. Every other room was just fine, but that room has no power now (light switches and all other outlets)

I checked the circuit breaker and it wasn't tripped. I turned it off and on again just to be sure, but even then no power was restored.

Does anyone know why this happened and how to subsequently fix it? Furthermore, does anyone know how to prevent this from happening?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

um, that definitely sounds like a breaker tripped...... um how old is the house your in? a wire could have potentially melted, (although it would have to be a pretty old house for that to happen, so it's probly not that)

what you really need is to talk to electricians, not Gamers :D

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The house isn't exceedingly old, so I don't believe it's a melted wire. I'm trying to see if there's a simpler resolution that wouldn't require an electrician, or perhaps if someone in the PCPP community happens to be a handyman. I'm just hoping it's not an expensive fix as I'm fairly tight on cash at the moment...

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Wall hopefully you find someone who can help you, although I will say in most likely it's just a breaker somewere

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Weird. Do the room outlets have built-in GFI (ground fault interruption)? Shouldn't matter but maybe the GFI circuit had a conniption for some reason. You don't smell smoke, I hope?

Power off is either an breaker, a switch, or a bad connection somewhere including loose screws or broken wires. Maybe check the outlet you used to make sure that it didn't have a loose connection that just happened to shake loose when you installed the PoE box.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

-gfi outlet, like those ones you see in a bathroom, that has tripped (could be from another room) -arc fault breaker ( especially if its in a bedroom ) those ******** are really sensitive -or like another mate said maybe a loose connection or a broken wire from the outlet you are plugged in

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's not any of the breakers, check the fuses. These tend to be implemented as an additional layer of protection. While not reset as easily as a tripped circuit breaker, fuses are cheap and aren't hard to replace.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube