add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PC makes buzzing sound

Cyrus_014

6 months ago

So my pc has been making this buzzing sound for probably more than a year now and its driving me nuts. I really don't know what to do and don't have a solution for it. Sometimes when I try to stop it temporarily, I just lift up the pc or give it a good punch and it will stop for a bit and then continue buzzing. What might it be that causes this? Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

Common sources of coil whine are from PSUs and graphics cards, though other components can certainly be responsible.

If you have a discrete graphics card, try using your system's integrated graphics (if possible), and see how it performs both idle and under load.

Post your part list for some more specific suggestions.

If a physical bump interrupts the buzzing, it's also possible that the sound you are hearing is not coil whine. (I wouldn't recommend continuing to do that, especially if your build relies on HDDs.)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Is it on/off, or only when under load? Check inside to see whether any cables are touching fan blades. Also, if it is only when under load then thats normal. Its called coil whine.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

It happens at random times. Sometimes when it is just running on the background and other times when I'm gaming. And I've already checked for any cables touching fan blades and didn't see anything.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

there is an extremely high chance that it is a Fan, if anything else made that kind of buzzing sound then it would have died month ago. it could be one that's dying/falling apart.

how long have you had this PC?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

there is an extremely high chance that it is a Fan, if anything else made that kind of buzzing sound then it would have died month ago. it could be one that's dying/falling apart.

Actually, coil whine is not necessarily a symptom of impending hardware failure.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I though coil whine was due to power going through a cable? Would that be a constant buzzing sound, and wouldn't it also have been there when he got his PC?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the late response but I built my PC in December 2017 so about a year and a half. Here's my build if you want to take a look at it: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/4mFtt6

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

i would say, do what the other dude recommended unplug one fan and then run the build, if it still rattles then try unplugging a different fan, it should throttle/shutdown if it gets too hot

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

It could be a failing fan, the one on my S340 was making a rattling sound and NZXT sent me a new one. Try unplugging one of your fans and see if it still happens.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Systems > Troubleshooting".

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You could try recording the sound and uploading it to a file host and post the link to it here, this way we can hear what your going on about.

+1 to the recommendation to test your fans, fans do wear out over time (specifically the fan bearings) and become noisy... whilst the system runs idle on the BIOS page temperature monitoring section, un-plug each fan in turn and see if the noise goes away. If your system temp gets too high from un-plugging a fan you know to plug it back in quickly or turn the system off.

Other devices that can hum or have coil whine are your HDD, motherboard, speakers, GPU and PSU for a variety of reasons... coil whine is a regularly contender as are the physical reasons for aberrant sounds.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube