add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Node 202 CPU Recommendation.

Runy

6 months ago

Hello, As the title states I am looking for a recommendation for a CPU for the Node 202 case. The CPU that it had stop working so yeah. The previous CPU was Intel - Core i7-7700 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor.

The build is the following: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/VWfH99

• 1080 ti
  • 600W
  • DDR4 3200
  • Scythe BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 45.47 CFM Sleeve Bearing

I am looking for an upgrade, but I don't know if that's the best choice.

Thanks!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I am looking for an upgrade, but I don't know if that's the best choice.

The only one that's really an "upgrade" within your current constraints would be the 7700K, but in practice, it wouldn't be much better than the 7700. Your cooler and case would likely not permit much overclocking headroom without excessive noise, even if the silicon lottery favors you.

Also note that older Intel processors in new condition tend to be overpriced.

A more significant upgrade would require a new motherboard. (And quite possibly another OS installation.)

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't mind the noise, and yeah I do not plan on overclocking the CPU. The socket on the motherboard is LGA1151, wouldn't the Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor fit since they are compatible? and it would be an upgrade from 4-core to 6-core.

Edit: nvm

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Any upgrade would require a motherboard replacement as well.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I just noticed the chip-set. :(

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Any upgrade past the i7 7700k would require a whole-*** new motherboard, since Coffee Lake doesn't work on 1xx and 2xx chipsets

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I just noticed the chip-set. :(

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yep :((((((

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah there is not a whole lot of cooling available for a CPU in such a tiny case so you are limited to a low profile cooler. An i7-7700k is the top CPU you can use which won't be any real benefit because lack of thermal headroom for overclocking if you had such a motherboard.

The i7-7700 isnt a bad CPU and will last a while longer but if you upgrade later on with a new motherboard and CPU I would recommend to stay with a 65w or less TDP chip for that kind of case.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I will take into consideration, thanks for the valuable information!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube