add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

When AMD Releases The Series 3,000 CPUs - How Fast Will Pricing Drop on Series 2,000 chips?

surge42

18 days ago

So AMD is predicting to release the new CPUs soon right? Based on your experience how fast will the prices drop on the series 2,000 chips?

I'm an advocate of not buying the cutting edge tech. I'm one version behind the latest and greatest.

I'm new to the space and I'd like the opinion of those who pay attention to this kind of thing.

Best wishes.

Comments

• 18 days ago
  • 2 points

Based on your experience how fast will the prices drop on the series 2,000 chips?

Really depends on the performance of the 3000 cpu's. In general price often seems to coalesce around performance. IE if the 2700X performs about as well as the slowest Ryzen 7 3000, then you'd kind of expect the price to settle there. Because everyone and their dog is looking for a deal, like you are, and is hoping to get a previously highend CPU for peanuts because it's got a 2 instead of a 3 in the branding. But everyone involved is wise to what the market cares about, performance and they tend to price things accordingly.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

So AMD is predicting to release the new CPUs soon right?

That is no longer clear. At their earnings call they did not mention Ryzen and only listed Navi and EPYC launching in Q3 so Ryzen CPU may be delayed until Q4.

Based on your experience how fast will the prices drop on the series 2,000 chips?

A long time if they follow the Gen 2 launch.

AMD will announce a cut to MSRP bringing it down to slightly above current market pricing (So no changes to pricing). And leave that pricing in place to help with the adoption of Gen 3 parts.

Second Generation parts didn't drop in price until several months after Ryzen 2 launched when Intel released another Generation and even then it was only select models for months.

The last thing both AMD and retailers want is everyone trying to snag a deal at their expense. So they will put out the best deals leading up to launches and then end those right before new products launch pushing the people waiting on the deals into buying new at the higher price.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Gilroar,

Based on your experience is back to school just as good as black Friday in regards to hardware deals?

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Back-to-School great for prebuilts, laptops, chromebooks, storage.

Black Friday great for monitors, keyboards, mice, cases, obsolete components.

Generally You see increased costs in core components at those times to offset the losses in other categories used to draw customers in.

• 17 days ago
  • 1 point

Wow! No kidding. I guess now is the time.

Thanks brother. I appreciate your knowledge.

• 17 days ago
  • 1 point

It might drop a bit, but I'd guess that production stopped long enough ago not to bother. I'd also assume that all 1000 series chips will be sold out (you can't beat their prices now).

• 17 days ago
  • 2 points

I'd like to buy in at a performance level that is just below the fastest.

I'm gonna stick with 2,000 series. Probably a Ryzen 7 2700x.

When AMD releases the 100 core 40 thread 4,000 series chips I'll buy a series 3,000.

I'm thinking these CPUs will begin to hold their value.

• 17 days ago
  • 2 points

I'm thinking these CPUs will begin to hold their value.

That will only happen if competition stalls like during AMD's Bulldozer era.

Or on the last flagship chip on the platform only because it is the last upgrade option for people on that platform.

But so long as competition holds then the newer chips will keep devaluing the older models.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube