add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wait for Ryzen 3rd gen or buy intel 9th gen

Caam

6 months ago

I'm planning on building a new pc, I will mostly be using this pc for heavy Zbrush usage. I'm debating whether if i should buy a beefy intel 9th gen right now or wait for Ryzen 3rd gen. I will be using at least $800 in custom loop cooling using ekwb products.

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 3 points

$800 on custom cooling? Well in that case, i9-9900K, overclock it, max it out. Be sure to consider a full tower (mainly for big radiators and airflow), a good board for overclocking, and stick a 360mm Radiator in there - a good solid thick one with good fans. With a good enough case, you could squeeze two good sized Reservoirs in there and run a separate loop for the GPU. Late for me, too many good usages, brain shutting down...

Ryzen 3000? Still got to wait and the Intel Chip is fun to overclock.

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

I'd wait for the new 9 series Ryzens. The 8 core ryzen beat out the 9900K, the 16 core ones have got to be better right? :)

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd wait for the new 9 series Ryzens.

I feel like we will be waiting a very long time for the 9th gen Ryzens when we are still only waiting for the third genlol

After doing a quick check it seems Zbrush loves core/thread counts for performance. Though another option to look into is instead of doing liquid cooling you can take that $800 and jump into threadripper territory for a 16 core CPU. To give an example:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Threadripper 1950X 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor $529.89 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Noctua - NH-U14S TR4-SP3 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler $79.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - ROG Strix X399-E Gaming EATX TR4 Motherboard $340.69 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $950.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-06 21:22 EDT-0400

For a task that can use all the cores you can throw at it a 16 core threadripper on high end air cooling (specifically made for TR4) can outperform the all core performance of the i9-9900k when overclocked. It will be cheaper than spending $800 on liquid cooling then whatever you spend on the motherboard+CPU and will be far less maintenance.

That air cooler is also REALLY impressive and worth a look: https://youtu.be/FffaOYQpI6k

As far as the question if you should wait for 3rd gen Ryzen it all depends on how badly you need a new PC. Though it is not far away when pre-ordering comes available dont. Wait for benchmark tests come out and see how good they are to see if it will work for your needs.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

ahhh no

I mean the 3rd gen 9 series (Ryzen 9 3850X) Etc.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

In this case it would likely be a far worse choice being limited to a dual channel DDR4 platform with no direct access to memory compared to each CCX having direct access to their own memory controller and a platform capable of handling double the memory bandwidth.

Just because they can put 16-cores on a chip doesn't mean You have the necessary hardware to properly feed those cores to extract the performance out of them.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd wait for the new 9 series Ryzens. The 8 core ryzen beat out the 9900K, the 16 core ones have got to be better right? :)

We cannot advise someone about a 16 core Ryzen chip we have never seen potentially beating an 8 core Ryzen chip we also have never seen ;)

Did the new 8 core Ryzen beat the 9900K? From what I can tell an 8-core R&D chip traded blows with an Intel 9900K chip on a software application that favors the Ryzen architecture. This R&D chip is not guaranteed to be an actual product.

• 6 months ago
  • 0 points

True, it got 12 points higher on cinebench.

I guess wait and see? :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube