add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

For my build, would a Ryzen 5 2600 be better than an i5, such as the i5-8400?

12345nidal

6 months ago

This is my build that is used for gaming, such as AC, NBA 2k & Overwatch, and occasional video editing:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5 GHz Dual-Core Processor $84.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $127.10 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $47.95 @ Newegg
Storage SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $32.99 @ Adorama
Video Card MSI - Radeon RX 470 4 GB Gaming X Video Card Purchased For $200.00
Case Deepcool - TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $45.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $48.89 @ OutletPC
Optical Drive Asus - DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer $19.38 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Asus - PCE-AC55BT PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For $35.00
Keyboard Cooler Master - Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse Purchased For $30.00
Headphones Logitech - G230 Headset $34.97 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $727.25
Mail-in rebates -$20.00
Total $707.25
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-06 00:21 EDT-0400

I know that if I select for the Ryzen I would need a new motherboard, so I am wondering if it would be worth to do so or just stick with the Intel. I also am looking for longevity, as I do not plan to upgrade for a while. Thanks!

Comments

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

I love that Intel Pentium G4560. A staple classic of the emulator scene!

As for build, yes you will definitely need to upgrade - both CPU and RAM. Older titles fine but if you want to run AC, you are going to need a sensible upgrade.

How about this: You have got a Kaby Lake mobo. Upgrade memory to two 8GB sticks. You wont get more than 2666MHz, so get DDR4 2666. Around $80. You will be fine with CL16. CPU wise, get a locked i7 Kabylake (or Skylake for that matter) off eBay - it will be a used chip. Investment costs, approx $250 give or take for the CPU. Total cost of upgrade = $330 give or take. Amount of work = simple as screwing out the cooler, taking out the Pentium, putting in new CPU, coat of thermal paste, screw back in cooler, and insert new RAM. Old CPU and RAM you could probably flip for around $100. Therefore total out of pocket = $230. Biggest boon for me is that you do not need to do anything with your OS - you do not have to clone at all. Just insert your new components and you are done, everything will work as before!

As for Intel i5 - 8400 or Ryzen 5 - 2600, requires new mobo, ram and cpu. Believe it or not, your out of pocket would not really be that much altered from before and you get a newer chipset! You will need to reinstall windows and then clone your softwares.

I highly recommend option 1.

Difference between i7-7700 locked vs Ryzen 5 2600 and i5-8400? Well yes in multicore/threaded applications the 7700 is somewhat behind. In 95% of gaming applications, not much of difference. For AC, it might be better to have 6 cores but my wife runs AC Odyssey just fine on her i7-7700K. Cores top out to around 90%, thats okay, that is why there are coolers on our processors ;)

As for Ryzen 5 2600 vs i5 8400. It is a close call. The multi-threading nature of the Ryzen chip sees it ahead in some workloads. Gaming workloads, you will need to OC the Ryzen to see it draw parity with the i5. They are both remarkable chips for the money you pay for them, you cannot go wrong with either.

Do consider my advise for the i7-7700 upgrade though. I am not usually a strong advocate for intra-generation upgrades but given the i7-7700 is vastly superior to the Pentium you have I would say this is a win win - particularly given that you do not have to reinstall OS for a new chipset. You could also get unlocked i7-7700K. You will not be able to overclock it on your motherboard but it will run at slightly higher clock rates. With 4.2GHz as base clock, it is somewhat faster than the locked 7700 - albeit it will certainly run hotter. Your stock cooler may not cut it. It will cut it on the 7700 though. Something to think about.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

How come ryzen 5 2600 & i5-8400 require new RAM tho?

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

You do not absolutely have to get new RAM although an upgrade is advised since you only have 8GB. You do not have to though, most games and apps will run at 8GB but 16GB is strongly recommended. You can either get two 8GB sticks or get a further two 4GB sticks of identical RAM to make 16GB (provided the motherboard is not ITX).

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that if I select for the Ryzen I would need a new motherboard, so I am wondering if it would be worth to do so or just stick with the Intel.

You would need a new motherboard either way.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh I thought that the 8400 works on an LGA1151 socket, which I already have

• 6 months ago
  • 2 points

8th gen CPU's require socket 1151 "V2." 300 series boards only. Same physical socket, but no backward compatibility.

• 6 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah ok

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube