add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thin radiator fans?

T56Impala

21 days ago

I'm proceeding with my build. So far its rock solid. (If microsoft will behave) I'm wondering if there is a thin fan for radiators. I'm planning on bottom mounting the GPU radiator in my O11 case. I have placed it in without fans, and really like the look of it sitting on the case floor. I'd like to leave it there and mount the fans under the case. Standard Corsair 120mm fans will fit, but they fill the entire gap. As in no air flow. I'd like a thinner fan to allow air to actually flow through them.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• 20 days ago
  • 1 point

Thin, quiet, high static pressure. Pick 2.

For a thinner fan (say, ≈15mm or less) to achieve the static pressure offered by a thicker (often 25mm, perhaps 38mm), otherwise similar fan at some RPM, it would generally have to rotate significantly faster. The geometry of the blades is part of what determines a fan's static pressure, and thinner fans have less flexibility in that respect. High static pressure is really what you want to ensure you have air getting through obstacles like radiators.

15mm thin fans could still keep you below throttling temperatures, but you'd be making sacrifices in terms of temperatures vs. noise. (Naturally, it also depends on the size of your radiator and which CPU you have. For example, a 120mm x 120mm radiator for a particularly hot CPU could certainly have trouble if you substituted a much thinner fan.)

• 20 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info. This is for my GPU loop. I will be running dual 120s on this loop. Yes, 2small radiators purely for looks. I could run up to a 360 on the bottom, but I have a look in mind. Lots of space to fill in this O11 case.

The GPU is a Vega 64 and only sees minimal gaming. I’ve had no issues with heat on stock air cooling. Even overclocked.

Depending on what I end up using for a res, or distribution block, they could end up in a single loop with an additional 360 up top. (Threadripper) I’m running a coolermaster 360 AIO with no heat issues but want to go full custom loop.

Volume is not an issue but I need to make sure it cools. I guess I could put the fans inside, but I’m not thrilled with how it looks.

• 19 days ago
  • 1 point

I have bought these 12 mm fans here: 1200 RPM

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g36/c15/s972/list/p1/Fans-12_Volt_Fans-120mm_x_12mm_Fans-Page1.html

very quiet, no noise really :) I bought the 12 mm due to the top radiator was getting too close to the motherboard RAM on my older system

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube