add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is AMD using glue as a thermal compound?

ggRyoside

7 months ago

I've been using my Ryzen 7 1700 with the stock cooler and stock thermal compound for 6 months.

I decided to replace the thermal compound today.

I loosened the 4 screws completely but the cooler wasn't letting go. I ended up ripping the CPU from the socket and I had to use a knife to pry the CPU from the cooler.

There was no damage to the CPU or the motherboard.

But seriously is AMD shipping their stock coolers with glue as a thermal compound?

I've changed the thermal compound on a decade old Dell Vostro recently that wasn't as bad as the compound that AMD included with their cooler.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just me?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

It has been an issue ever since AMD stated using Cooler Master to make their stock heatsinks more years then I care to remember.

Tip: Twist the cooler before trying to remove it to see if the paste has dried when removing an AMD stock cooler.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Not heard of this happen to anyone else

Am curious after you replaced the thermal paste how many degrees were dropped?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

https://i.imgur.com/1wq2BzG.png

I have no idea what the temp was at before I changed it. I don't usually monitor it since it's running at stock clock.

I think the fan is spinning slower because the cooler has been quieter since I changed the compound.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It is a very common problem with AMD stock coolers You don't hear about it much since the stock coolers were replaced fast on Phenom/Athlon/FX generally before the paste dried and Ryzen is new.

The low quantities of AMD CPU on the market also helps.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Happened to a friend of mine and I had to use a razor blade to straighten the bent pins. Luckily none of them broke off so it was salvageable.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The way amd cpus are held in the socket means that this can happen. The thermal paste starts to harden over time. To prevent this next time, it is suggested to remove the heat sync right after you turn off the system since the heat make the thermal paste more pliable.

• 7 months ago
  • -1 points

Idk what you mean but im pretty sure ur not meant to remove ur cpu cooler / heatsink everytime you shutdown / turn off ur pc.....

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I mean when he plans to remove the cpu cooler it is advised to do it right after he turns the pc off to avoid the cpu sticking to the cooler

• 7 months ago
  • 0 points

Ok makes sense ur right

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube