add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU, GPU, or RAM upgrade?

Reynex90

16 days ago

My next steps are to upgrade one of the following; my RAM, GPU, or CPU.

I had a prebuilt PC that had some relatively good specs in it with an i5-8400, a GTX 1050ti (HP SKU), and 12GB DDR4-2666 Samsung RAM, a 256GB Samsung M.2HD, 1TB HDD, and a pathetic 300W HP proprietary PSU (Barely enough for my system).

I’ve upgraded to an Asus Prime Z370-A, 750W BQ EVGA PSU, NZXT 500i, and a Corsair H100X AIO Cooler (the jump in cooler comes from me wanting to get an overclockable CPU. Also my heat sync and fan from the other system had a proprietary design so it wouldn’t fit my new motherboard. All remaining parts have been carried over to the new pc.

I do want to upgrade to an i7 K-series CPU, go up to 16GB DDR4 3000-3500 RAM, and probably go to a GTX 1080ti. In the coming months. My budget is fairly small each month so what’s my most efficient plan of attack here based on your opinions? My system already performs well I’d just like to be able to stream with it. Currently if I stream on twitch my feed is “unwatchable” to quote my brother lol.

Comments

• 16 days ago
  • 2 points

i say get the CPU first, and then get the GPU.

Change the RAM last, Intel doesn't need 3000 Mhz Ram as much as Ryzen does

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

That’s kinda what I was thinking. Would you in your own opinion say that 2666 ram is sufficient for my setup? Just curious to know how much of a difference it will actually make in the end.

• 16 days ago
  • 2 points

I would personally get a gpu upgrade first as the i5 8400 does handle a rtx 2060 quiet well in gaming loads at 1080p. Besides, the gtx 1050 ti is a low end gpu at this point while the i5 8400 gives ryzen 5 2600 a run for it's money in gaming.

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

well he wants to do streaming, but if it wasn't for that i would have said get the GPU first, because it makes more of a difference while gaming.

i think the difference between 2600 ram vs 3000 ram is around 15-20% i think????

(if you read he said he already got a new Motherboard)

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

You can stream with nvidia NVENC on rtx cards and the jump to 2666 to 3000mhz isn't very noticeable at all. Better to invest on a better gpu kek.

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

well there is a reason i said to change that out last ;D

• 15 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your input

• 16 days ago
  • 2 points

Depends on what you use the PC for. if it is gaming the i5-8400 is a decent gaming CPU today and the gtx 1050ti is bottom barrel budget gpu. A higher CPU +1050 ti will net a far lower FPS gain in games than a 8400 + higher gpu will give you.

12GB of ram is a bit under the 16 recommend but 8gb is minimum for budget so I would aim for the GPU first.

• 15 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your input. Mostly gaming and wanna get into some video editing and/or streaming.

• 15 days ago
  • 2 points

Well for casual editing and streaming an i5-8400 will do a good job as it is a solid 6 core CPU. Since gaming is your biggest concern I can see the video card being the largest bottleneck holding back FPS. Especially since your money is limited I would not worry about getting the absolute best as you often pay a price premium for it and aim for the value parts. When I say value I do not mean the cheapest as that is often garbage but the parts that gives the best performance for the dollar spent. That i5-8400 is a prime example of that kind of part. If you are only running 1080p displays a GTX 1660TI is a nice spot atm but I would not shy away from a used GTX 1070 if low enough on price.

As for streaming what program do you use? If it is OBS when you get a new video card you can set the encoder to hardware and either pick nvidia or AMD depending on the GPU you get and can use the encoder built into the GPU. The GTX 1000 (+gtx 1650) series cards has the volta encoder and the newer video cards uses the Turing encoder but both do work. AMD cards have something similar too. The other part is internet upload speed vs the bitrate of your stream. Good luck with a 8000KB/s upstream bitrate on a 5mbps upload speed. You may try limiting your stream to 1080p 30fps.

• 15 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for all the information. Very helpful.

• 15 days ago
  • 1 point

Oh and yeah I’m running OBS

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube