add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to clean a PC

Venkellman

22 days ago

So people on this site were super helpful when I was picking out bits for my pc build (thanks!), but it's been a while and it's looking a bit dusty. I want to take good care of it, but I know water would be a horrible idea and I feel like just using a microfiber cloth or something would just push the dust further inside the pieces. Any trade secrets I should know about? I couldn't find anything helpful on the first couple of google searches, so I figured I'd try here.

Thanks for your advice!

Comments

• 22 days ago
  • 1 point

I blow them out with air, but I have a compressor and big blowgun so it works well. Never had a real issue other than sometimes right in front of a fan on a sink, maybe remove it and soap/water or glass cleaner or alcohol if mounted. That works well for sinks and cases and outer panels of things, getting any water product on or in electronics is not a good idea. Even wipes can work well as they don't leave fluid behind, but not on raw electronics. For electronics (mobo/cards) you can brush with alcohol but it should be removed and cleaned then blown off or dried in front of a fan/etc. For nasty things acetone can work but it can take writing off certain things and have to take more precautions working with it, is very flammable and makes more fumes. I only use it when something burns up and I'm trying to repair it and I've never used it on a computer. Acetone is commonly in old school nail polish remover. But if you get a soft brush and have a blowgun, you can clean lot of dust off without using anything. Or try some cans of air first.

• 22 days ago
  • 1 point

Compressed air to remove dust. Don't try to clean the PCB's on stuff. If it is plastic or metal e.x fans, heatsinks, the case, etc you can use alcohol plus something non fibrous to clean it.

• 22 days ago
  • 1 point

Use commpressed air to remove dust, you can also blow out your fans with it. It helps get those nooks and crannys.

• 22 days ago
  • 1 point

Popular cleaning tool: Metro ED500 DataVac

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube