add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is it worth delidding a 9600K?

andrewrayhons

17 days ago

Have a 9600K, and have noticed that more intensive processing, even with a water cooler has my temps rising to 65C. Wondering if delidding I can lower those temps, and push the OC just a bit more? Found to be really stable at 4.8GHz, but am looking to try to get to 5.1GHz.

Comments

• 13 days ago
  • 3 points

Is it worth delidding a 9600K?

No.

• 17 days ago
  • 2 points

What's wrong with 65c under high load exactly? You could still push the CPU higher without hitting thermal limits, a 5.1ghz OC is probably going to push load temps past 65c anyway.

• 17 days ago
  • 1 point

I like to stay as cool as possible without blowing the valve off the CPU. Nothing is wrong with it 65C, but when I try OCing to 5.0GHz, under load the chip skyrockets up to 95C+. I didn’t think there would be that much of a difference between the 4.8 and 5.0 OC.

• 17 days ago
  • 5 points

The i5 9600k is already soldered.

• 17 days ago
  • 1 point

65°C under intensive processing is already quite good actually. You won't see any major difference when [if] you delid because it's soldered...

• 17 days ago
  • 1 point

Delidding a 9600K is not for the faint of heart. If you delid and lap very carefully, I think you can get another 3-5 degrees C. I don't think it's worth the effort, and I don't think you're going to get 5.1 GHz except maybe for light loads, but that's up to you.

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

If you delid and lap very carefully...

If he feels adventurous he can do that, but there is the possibility to rip of the die from the PCB and destroy the processor completely. lol

I would rather try to get it to 5.0GHz if possible, avoiding completely an 5.1 or 5.2 GHz overclock, considering the possibility of an bad overclock silicon die. ¯\(ツ)

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

Oh, I certainly wasn't advocating doing it, and even if the chip manages to make it through unharmed, at best he's likely to see 90C under load instead of 95C. It's his chip though...

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

at best he's likely to see 90C under load instead of 95C.

Yes i think the same. A soldered CPU is as as good as it gets anyway from a manufacturing point of view.

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

You don't need to lap your 9th gen CPUs.

A delid and direct die is easy enough, there are a few companies selling stuff that dissolves solder to easily remove it.

If you can't do 5.0ghz+ at a reasonable voltage (1.3v or so) you got a dud of a 9600k.

5.1ghz does take some luck if you want a decent voltage, but it should be possible.

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

I can get 5.0 easy enough @ 1.3v. It is fairly stable, but I have run into a couple issues during stress testing that the system crashes, which is why I've ran at 4.8. I'll run again at 5.0 for a bit to see if maybe it was just a fluke and see if things clear up.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube