add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What to do with the old rig?

Heckri
  • 11 months ago

Anyone has ideas of what to do with the old rig I am replacing in the next few days? The only parts I am transferring are the PSU and SSD. Still have HDD I could use. It is too old to make a parts list...

• i7-920 2.66 GHz
  • EVGA X58 SLI
  • MSI GTX 260
  • DDR3 1600 3x2GB

Thanks!

Comments

• 11 months ago
  • 4 points

You could make it into a makeshift server or NAS

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

+1 this. Put in a large HDD and use it for backups.

https://freenas.org/

• 11 months ago
  • 2 points

I would personally use that X58 board to its full potential and slap a 6-core xeon on it. An X5670 will put it up with many modern rigs, and it should only cost you $25 on eBay.

• 11 months ago
  • 3 points

I agree.

They generally overclock to 4.2-4.6 ghz depending on the xeon at hand.

The only one that have an unlocked multiplier is the Xeon W3680 and W3690 though not really worth the price.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm just use it as a second office PC and for older games, occasionally. ¯\(ツ)

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Could end up making it a server but it'll need more ram depending on what you host.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Add a cheap PSU, use that old HDD and any other storage you have laying around, and liveboot FreeNAS off a USB and give that a shot.

Use it for dedicated serverhosting for some less demanding titles.

Install XP and use it for retro gaming to run old titles natively that won't run on newer operating systems.

Sell it.

Something like that.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I have old PCs that are used for browsing mostly, this C2Q sff works great with some cheap upgrades until I have to update the OS next year. Did put a ssd in it, but much faster and can take it out some day. Have 50 tabs open on it right now.

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. I had to google most of your suggestions! But I get the idea, some good ones there. Thanks!

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

I gave mine (though not as 'old') to my dad so he can have a better experience. :D

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

That is exactly what I did with this PC 4 years ago, and it rebounded back to me! Lol

• 11 months ago
  • 1 point

Another idea is to hook it up to a TV and use as a home theater PC. I know I enjoy mine!

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube