add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Ryzen 3 graphics for a TV

sand_bear

24 days ago

if i make a computer just using the ryzen 3 2200g will it be good enough to stream video from netflix, etc. to a 70 inch tv?

Comments

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

The size in inches for the display means nothing. Resolution and refresh rates mean everything. Usually it will be fine on a 4k TV but you may be limited to 30 fps over HDMI. If you want 4k 60fps you may need a budget GPU with HDMI 2.0 such as a GT 1030 or better. At 1080p it will run 60fps with zero issues.

If you don't mind 30fps on 4k for online video streaming then the igpu in a 2200g or even an Intel CPU with integrated graphics will be ample.

• 24 days ago
  • 3 points

I'm running my 4K TV with an Intel® HD Graphics 4600(i5-4460). It works fine.

So the Ryzen 3 2200G's Vega 8 graphics will be fine too (comparison)

• 24 days ago
  • 3 points

Yup, but you are limited to 30 FPS @4k due to the bandwidth of HDMI 1.4. If you do not mind that then great.

• 24 days ago
  • 2 points

The 2200g does support 4k 60fps via hdmi 2.0 on certain motherboards. Here is a nice list of ones that support it.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

I wondered about that, great post. I just bought a Asus prime x470 and it lists the following, out of the mobo I liked I don't recall seeing hdmi 2.0 will have to look again. If you want DP you have to look at what the mobo has for APU use. Though for games you may get a gpu anyway so I didn't look that hard at this. 2400g is not capable of that high of refresh for games anyways seems to be the consensus. Curious the rog 450 mobo shows hdmi 2.0 but the 470 does not just like the prime 470. The DP is the same. Unless the x470 chipset has some issue with it. I am curious as I may use the 2400 for streaming PC when I upgrade it, maybe on a ITX. Wait the rog strix x470-I does show 2.0, also found a reddit saying many get 2.0 on b350/x370 mobo even though they are rated 1.4, get 4Kx60hz.

Integrated Graphics in the AMD Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ 7th Generation A-Series APU Multi-VGA output support : HDMI/DisplayPort ports - Supports HDMI 1.4b with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz / 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz - Supports DisplayPort 1.2 with max. resolution 4096 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Most motherboards don't actually support the HDMI and DP versions through hardware and rely on AMD implementing the features through drivers.

So those thinking they have HDMI 2.0/DP 1.4 may be able to use some of the features but are hard capped to the actual hardware bandwidth for things like refresh rate.

There are also some boards from 300 series that launched with the actual support for those versions but when they launched there was only Bristol Ridge which doesn't support so they locked down the version through software until later.

• 23 days ago
  • 1 point

4K been out a while, that is half baked. Yeah I know, they do what they do. The reddit post says many boards will run 2.0 anyway, maybe they don't officially support like you said a feature is missing/etc.

• 23 days ago
  • 1 point

It is likely based on neither AMD or Intel actually budget PCIe bandwidth for the HDMI/Display Port controllers and motherboard manufacturers don't/can't pull enough lanes from the x16 to properly enable the connections without interfering with its function.

Granted most people using integrated graphics or a discrete card are not going to care if one disables the other but it is another warning label to put on the motherboards product page that would turn off potential buyers.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

I see, those are all b350/x370 chipsets which is first gen Ryzen that is listed. I did check several b450 versions and they had HDMI 1.4. For example the ASRock B350m Pro4 is listed on that list as HDMI 2.0 compatible but the ASRock B450m Pro4 which is one I checked is only HDMI 1.4. It is harder and often more expensive to go with the 350 chipset now over the 450 because those are no longer being made and old stock is what is being sold.

I got the b350m Pro4 board myself but as my CPU doesn't have integrated graphics and I got a nice gtx 1070 I never really looked closer into that board's compatibility with integrated graphics. I only checked the more recent boards out now for the question on this thread.

• 23 days ago
  • 2 points

First off, you don't need a 4xx chipset to run the 2200g. Second off, every one of those board's websites show that they're hdmi 1.4 because that is what they were originally designed for. That being said, the actual traces for hdmi 1.4 and 2.0 are exactly the same, but only certain cpus support 2.0 (notably the A series doesn't). As long as the bios doesn't bottleneck the cpu it should be fine to run 2.0, meaning these motherboards that were tested should be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube