add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I9-9900K RAM compatibility Question

Ras0922

19 days ago

I wanted to know whether the I9-9900K will support 4X8GB RAM sticks at 3200 Mhz or should I go with 2X16GB at 3200 Mhz.

I already read the info at Intel's website but couldn't understand a bit. Please help

Comments

• 19 days ago
  • 1 point

2x16gb is better for upgradability. Also the 9900k IIRC only does dual channel ram unlike the x299 or x399 platforms so there will not be any performance gains going 4 sticks over 2 sticks.

• 19 days ago
  • 1 point

2x16GB would be dual rank sticks in dual channel

4x8GB would be single rank (normally) sticks in dual channel that due to having 4 sticks would be dual rank in dual channel (effectively).

Dual rank does have a nice gain over single rank in read / writes but since both will be in dual rank, you will see similar performance.

2x16GB might be easier on the IMC, and the chance of one stick holding back the other 1 or 3 is less. But due to the 9900k having one of the strongest IMCs, you will be held back by your motherboard generally in memory overclocking. Since he is only running a non hardcore XMP, he shouldn’t have any issues.

Realistically the 9900k will have zero issues doing 3200mhz XMP profiles on 2x16 or 4x8.

• 19 days ago
  • 1 point

...you will be held back by your motherboard generally in memory overclocking.

Well 3200MHz isn't the fastest speed around, and any decent Intel board would achieve these speeds with XMP regardless if you use a dual or quad kit.

So the IMC would very well handle even a quad kit at that speed.

• 17 days ago
  • 1 point

I wasn't really talking about 3200mhz

But 3200mhz tight on 4 sticks is still a challenge on Intel.

But, no companies are binning RAM to its limit for XMP profiles, so as long as he is reasonable it won't have any issues.

• 17 days ago
  • 1 point

Depending the Ram layout topology of the board and the rank of the ram in question a Intel board would definitely not have any problems driving a quad kit at 3200MHz even on a worse board.

Things are getting worse with Ram frequencies above 4000MHz.

You may end up with a frequency lower than 3800MHz even on a decent board.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Sorry but couldn't understand those keywords XMP and IMC. Please explain

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

The IMC stands for the CPU integrated memory controller, and XMP stands for overclocking memory profiles so you can set the ram to higher speeds to achieve a better overall build performance.

• 19 days ago
  • 1 point

As Tetsuclaw stated...for further Ram upgrade ability you would be better to go with a dual instead of a quad kit.

That way you can upgrade the Ram up to 64 GB by adding another dual kit.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

So does this mean I can use 4X16GB without any issues.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

Yes, you should be able to run 4x16gb just fine. I have not heard of any known issues of Intel CPUs not being able to run 4 sticks of ram on a board that has 4 ram slots. I still stand by the advice to get 2x16gb over 4x8gb just so if you need to upgrade to 64gb later down the road you won't have to buy 4x16gb and take out 4x8gb.

• 18 days ago
  • 1 point

So would it be better to take 4X16GB

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube