add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Should I wait for Ryzen 3rd gen

Aier

26 days ago

I plan to build a PC. Should I get the Ryzen 2nd gen or wait for 3rd.

Comments

• 26 days ago
  • 2 points

If You need it Now build it Now.

All the Hype aside for 3000 series AMD showed a fairly small gain in a benchmark that already favors their design and has gone on record as this is the last generation for some time to see major gains.

So it is very unlikely to be a major enough gain to justify waiting the couple of months before everything is ready if You have a current need for the PC.

If You are already set and this isn't a need to upgrade then there is no need so be patient.

• 25 days ago
  • 2 points

Depends on your need. If I were building today, I'd ask myself, "Why wait on 3rd gen or get 2nd gen, when I can get a 6 core, 12 thread Ryzen 5 1600 for $79.99?"

But my use case may be different than yours, and I have a MicroCenter right down the road, so the $79.99 + $30 off mobo combo, plus an open-box PowerColor RX 580 8GB for $150 means I'd have the bones of a solid PC, even for 1080p gaming, for <$300.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

Thats kinda what ive been thinking too. If you get a b450 motherboard it will be compatible for the 3000 series anyways so it will be easy to upgrade. Plus they have a promotion where you get The division and World war Z with the CPU. I think this is what i'm going to do for my friends build

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

Definite maybe. It'll be months before there's availability. Is there a confirmed release date where you'll be able to buy the hardware?

But then next gen GPU's might be on the horizon, should you wait for them too? You gotta pick a spot somewhere to build, no matter what's on the horizon.

Is the 3rd gen Ryzen going to solve some problems for you that the 2nd gen Ryzen can't?

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

If you can wait for a couple of months, then yes.

Otherwise just get a Ryzen 2000 processor.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Wait. Not so much for 3rd Gen but the impact on pricing for the 2nd Gen. I am in the process of upgrading my wife's PC and hanging 10 for 3rd Gen Ryzen, not so much for it's chips which will flip at full retail, rather, a Ryzen 7 2700X which I hope may duck beneath $200.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube