add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Monitor Stand

Max35

7 months ago

I wasn't sure where I should post this.

I am looking to buy a monitor stand for 2 monitors (linked below). I was given the Ikea Bekant motorized desk as a gift and I am a bit worried that it won't be able to support the pressure of a monitor stand on the middle portion. If anyone has experience with this desk or a recommendation on what to do please help me out.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So this desk? https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60214183/

I think my wife has that desk, or something very similar. It looks like there's a bracing supporting in the back (like the wife's desk has) and she's got two 1080p monitors on it attached to https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Standing-Bolt-through-Adjustable-STAND-V002F/dp/B00C5H5DN0 and it seems fine.

Correction, she got her's from OfficeMax and the pull out bit is right handed. But the design/layout is almost identical, it looks like it's made out of the same number of pieces of wood (particle board) even.

At any rate LCD's aren't that heavy. We're talking less than 40lbs (no more than 50lbs if I am wrong) between two monitors and a stand most likely. I am sure the desk can support double that easily. Oh yeah, found it, Max. load: 110 lb for the MALM. So you could probably get 4 or 5 monitors on that thing before you start having to worry.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the late reply. I asked the person who gave me the desk and it was actually this desk. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39282292/ It just seems a bit unsteady as the only thing supporting it runs down the middle.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Why did I think MALM? My intermittent dyslexia must have got me.

At any rate the Brekant has a max load of 154 lbs, a monitor stand a couple of monitors is going to end up being a 1/3 of that. I mean unless the desk is damaged or was assembled poorly it should be fine. In this case you'll have to use your own judgement having the specific desk in hand, but based on the specs provided by Ikea it doesn't seem like they're should be an issue.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Not your fault I wrote MALM in my original post.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I was pretty sure, but I didn't want to assume.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Max. load: 154 lb

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube