add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

is it worth getting a better cpu

15_FPS

22 days ago

so I have an Intel - Core i7-2600S https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jNMFf7/intel-cpu-bx80623i72600s and I don't know much about CPUs and what's good and not. I play video games a lot. is it worth getting a new CPU like one of the newer i7s or does mine pretty work good for gaming.

Comments

• 22 days ago
  • 1 point

Well, as with all things, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Is it worth upgrading? Yes, certainly if you desire best possible performance out of your gear. On the other hand, if you are pragmatic, you click on Steam game and it plays, you could say "if it ain't broke...".

My personal opinion: Upgrade when the need presents itself and the finances allow it. If your experience starts to suffer when gaming then you can start looking at an upgrade. For now this CPU will certainly be up to the task of enabling you to game at 60fps if paired with a decent GPU. I can game 60fps on medium to low settings on my Laptop and I am sure this dual core i5 I am using is a good notch or two down the ladder compared to your i7.

• 22 days ago
  • 1 point

I would rather wait and make a PC overhaul in the new future.

CPU/GPU board and Ram change.

If you want better performance right now, you could just change the GPU wit an GTX 1660 for example.

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

ok thanks

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

You're welcome :)

[comment deleted]
  • 22 days ago
  • 1 point

well some of these parts are like 8 years old because it was my mom's computer and she gave it to me because she got a better one so I upgrade somethings but I didn't know if I needed to get a new one because when my mom got the computer 8 years ago this CPU was one of the best so I didn't know if I should upgrade it or not.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube