add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My Son Needs Help.. Possible Power Supply Issue..

Jeepman1991

7 months ago

1st PC build... Gaming orientated...

SPECS: Motherboard Asrock B450 Pro4, GPU GeForce 1070 Ti, PSU EVGA 550 Supernova G2, CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600, don't know RAM off top off my head but it is functional and is not the issue (two 8GB sticks)

The PC was running fine. I tried to upgrade the EVGA 550W to a Corsair RM850x, but all that happens is the CPU fan runs for 3 seconds and stops. I tried going back to the EVGA 550W, but the PC gets stuck in an infinite booting loop. The CPU fan runs, GPU light turns on, case fans run, SSD light turns on, but then everything shuts off and turns on repeatedly until I turn off the PSU. This booting cycle problem happened before but someone else was helping me build the PC and he fixed it, so I know its a simple step I'm missing but he hasn't responded to me in weeks for whatever reason.

Already tried: Tried booting with different RAM slots (original ones worked so i knew this wasn't the problem but tried it anyway), took out CMOS battery and put it back in, original EVGA power supply isn't faulty obviously.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Just to confirm, you swapped out the entire units and all of their cables, right? While probably not the source of your current issue, mixing modular cables across different modular PSUs is dangerous, since the PSU end is not well-standardized.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If you didn't swap out the cables you probably killed the motherboard

Sending 12v down the wrong pin will easily fry whatever is on the other end.

If you got lucky, it would only have risked the CPU and not both the CPU and motherboard.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube