add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I7 8700 vs i5 9600k

Grommus

7 months ago

Howdy all,

As the title says which would be the better choice for a pure gaming setup at 1440p 75hz?

No interest in overclocking.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

For a pure gaming PC, I would probably go with the i5-9600K. Out of the box, it has an ever-so-slightly higher single-core speed which is what you'll want for gaming. Plus, you can overclock it and an i5-9600K at 5GHz is a monster for gaming but that's of course only if you're interested in overclocking.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah cheers!

Yeah no interest in overclocking whatsoever.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The choice is clear on the 9600K from me. Like Prodigy stated, it has that overclocking ability (I put mine at 4.8GHz) that just screams in gaming. Even non overclocked, you'll be more than happy with it, and it doesn't break the bank.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Well it really comes down to footprint here.

If you are building a Mini ITX, limited cooling options, small footprint, the i7-8700 would actually be a reasonable purchase. You will only be buying an i5-9600K to overclock it (I presume your budget covers either chip). Overclocking requires better than a typical low profile cooler. i7-8700 would make more sense in such a build particularly one that may have limited intake and exhaust.

If you are building Non-ITX with a nice roomy case, choice is pretty close to 50/50 IMO, I personally would go for the i5-9600K and ramp up that clock. If you do not plan on overclocking, get the locked i7 - 8700. The i5 with a good overclock will perform better on most games, outside of those that hit the hyperthreading hard - in which case i7-8700 would comfortably win. But for most gaming titles, i5-9600K with an overclock > locked i7-8700. Without an overclock on the i5, the chips are about even in most gaming loads.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube