add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I5 3570K vs I7 3770K

NoblePCC

1 month ago

When both are otherclocked on a Nice Z68 motherboard, is there any point upgrading from an I5 to I7 atall?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Not in this day and age unless you find one for super cheap.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Nope not for the sort of prices you will have to pay. Next upgrade should be one of those big ones - motherboard, RAM, CPU, the whole lot...

• 20 days ago
  • 1 point

I bought a used 3770k from a guy on craigslist for $100 a month ago. I almost got it stable at 4.8ghz at around 1.35v on a Sabertooth z77 board. Then I tried my old P8P67 WS Revolution and I was able to get it stable at 4.8ghz 1.35v. This 3770k is exceptional though and possibly a Silicon Lottery winner. My Brother's old build had a 3770k and it needed 1.31v to do 4.6ghz.

Keep in mind that I had to delid and I was using either a custom loop or an H105 w/ML120 fans. The funny thing was I saw almost no temperature difference between the loop and the H105, but an overclocked 3770k doesn't use a crazy amount of wattage so the loop is overkill.

I wouldn't spend $200 or even $150 on a 3770k. What I would recommend doing is calculating the cost of a new setup, while offsetting the cost by selling off the old hardware, vs the cost of a new CPU. That new Ryzen processor is coming out too, and this could influence the value of an upgrade.

• 20 days ago
  • 1 point

Well you will just be gaining hyperthreading upgrading your i5 to an i7 but both CPUs still have the same core count so it isn't a huge difference. You would get a little gain but not a huge gain so even for $100 it may not even be worth it.

As modern games are now able to use more than 4 cores if you want to upgrade a nice 6 core Intel or Ryzen does a great job today. Of course the higher end you go the more performance you can get but you will have diminishing returns on cost to performance.

Other question to ask yourself: Does your current PC play games well enough for your needs or is it finally starting to lag behind? If it is getting too slow to keep up for the experience you want then it might be time to think about upgrading.

• 19 days ago
  • 1 point

The i5 3570k @4.4Ghz is doing fine

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube