add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Stuck between 2600x or 2700

myk1990

1 month ago

So I'm just getting the last of my funds together and will be starting my build within the next month.

I thought I had my parts all finalized and was ready to start buying everything but after watching a video the other day on YouTube I go too thinking.

I was going to buy an rtx 2060 with the 2600x, do I spend a little more and get the 2700 with the 2060 or do I stick with the 2600x and put some more money into a 2070? I am not looking to be running at 1440p more like to hit 1080p at high fps.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'd go RTX2070 with the 2600x, if I were you. The GPU upgrade will have a greater impact on your gaming needs than choosing between those CPUs, IMHO.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If You are looking at high frame rates I wouldn't go with the 2600X with the 9400F on the market with a cheaper entry cost for the same performance.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1829-intel-core-i5-9400f-vs-amd-ryzen-5-2600x/

If You want a more rounded compute performance I would instead look at the R7 from AMD as even the slowest model from last generations at stock speeds is only 5-10% behind a 2600X configured to match the 9400F well adding two more cores giving it a large advantage anytime those can be leveraged.

https://www.techspot.com/review/1825-ryzen-2600x-vs-1700/

No matter what though.

GPU choice only effects what settings You can use at a given frame rate and resolution.

CPU choice controls performance If You don't have enough no amount of GPU will change frame rates.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i had looked into the intel side of things at the start, but i have always been swayed towards AMD and looking at loads of benchmarks i have never been too bother with the slight drop in FPS from Intel to AMD.

I am planning on using the computer for other things than just straight gaming which is another reason i swayed towards AMD because of the multi-tasking side of things.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If You are not concerned by the frame rate drop then there is no point to going halfway with a R5 when You can get R7 that are better at everything the R5 does better at then the I5.

It makes no sense to sacrifice and gain less then what you could've gained.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

2600X with RTX 2070 for the win. CPU matters, sure, but you do not need those 8 cores.... yet .....

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i did think that myself, but from a future proofing side of things as i will eventually upgrade things as time goes on, i thought it might have been best to go with the 2700 and 2060 instead.

There is not much price difference when i have added them all up works out about 100 extra from the 2600x and 2070.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

And only another $100 from 2700 to the 2700x! ;)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I was just thinking that. Lot of things work that way. IMO if the 2600x/2070 gives best game performance then go that way. You can upgrade later, meantime you get the best performance. GPU is usually most important.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's also worth considering the AM4 platform is going to be relevant through 2020. I would personally say opt for the 2070 and 2600X for right now because Ryzen will have many good upgrade paths in the future if your 2600X ever falls behind (which it shouldn't for a while either). As it stands you won't get but maybe 5 extra frames in most titles by getting a 2700 and eventually you'll have to get a new CPU anyways so might as well go with the cheaper yet comparably performing CPU for now and just upgrade down the line when necessary

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It's also worth considering the AM4 platform is going to be relevant through 2020.

That is two families of chips This Years launch and next years if they decide not to replace AM4 next year as was the plan all along.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

IMO a 2600X and an RTX 2070 is a very good build. Go for it. Get a nice mobo and if you fancy an upgrade in two or three years without having to switch out too much gear, you can always pick up a Ryzen 3000 chip for a song second hand when they will be on their 5000 series (Knowing AMD they will be releasing new chips every 12 - 18 months).

That said, echoing another comment here, an Intel i5 build is not a horrible idea. Yes you cannot upgrade (i7 would be a pretty poor upgrade) but quite honestly why would you build now with an upgrade in mind that is in the immediate future? Two years or three years from now, sure. One year? A bit too close. It is your money of course but it actually makes sense to treat a PC like you would a new vehicle, drive it, get the mileage in, when it is paid off (4-6 years), flip and then replace with new car, rinse and repeat. If you decided to upgrade your vehicle every year, the car salesman will consider you his best friend forever.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube