add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cheap psu makes little noise?

pcbldragain

7 months ago

Couple year ago I scored a enermax naxn 450w for a spare, for 28 bucks on sale. Put in my new build with a 2400g, no gpu. Its in the bottom upside down and the fan makes a little noise. It sounds like loose bearings in the fan. Its pretty minor but there, its running slow like I assume it should with low load. I could take it apart and check fan for mounting/etc, I have some experience with electronics been in those before but doubt I could do anything to fix other than new fan. Or could this be normal?? Could it be a ball bearing fan or something? If room quiet you can hear it otherwise you can't. Just fired it up and all I'm doing is win install and driver/bios updates, format drive, etc. I left it on all night nothing changed. Managed to get memory running at 3600 in bios but done nothing else with it. Naturally on newegg some say it caught on fire and all that.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

That psu unit is 7 years old and has a sleeve bearing fan. I think the fan is starting to worn out, uses an old double forward with a group regulation design (meaning the platform in the psu itself is even older) and the psu has alot of Samxon psu.

You should get a a better psu before that thing goes kaboom on you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/FQ648d/corsair-power-supply-cp9020101na

This CX 450m psu is far more modern, better caps, rifle bearing fan, modular and properly set protections.

Power supplies always work fine until they don't.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

It says its for phenom and i3 i5. It was new in the box, I unwrapped it. Its been sitting here as a spare.

I'm not saying its great I was just going to use it temp to get system going, not knowing if a little rattle in fan is normal or not. The corsair look nice. If I get a new PSU it needs to run a ryzen 2700 and 2080gpu (or whatever) as I will upgrade at some point its a x470 asus prime mobo.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Welp, I hope you replace that psu asap in any case.

Also, the b450 tomahawk has a better vrm setup than that x470 board despite having 2 less phases due to the phases being better quality overall, has a larger heatsink surface area and also cheaper.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

If its that bad I will put it on the list for next upgrade. I bought when was running a twin fan radeon gpu in a gateway 350w, but then I replaced that with a geforce 730(?) that is pci powered, and never installed this enermax in it.

This asus sink is not as bad as some say, it has fins under on sides and its taller and is not shrouded from air flow. I went with this because generally they say it will OC better with memory, which I need with the 2400g. It is running 3600 out of the box but no other OC. Its 3733 viper 4 memory close to spec settings and spec voltage. I'll dig into all that OC stuff later once I have something loaded onto it. I agree tomahawk is a great board for price I looked at that and b450 carbon and steel legend. This went 139 and I thought features and x470 were better for me, threw a dart lol hope it works for many years. Its really a rog strix less a few features, same pcb, and I will never OC it hard other than memory speed but it needs to run a larger cpu later like a 2700/etc. The asus b450 are certainly not as nice a vrm as msi.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Now it stopped making noise, never had that happen. I'll replace it anyway once I replenish my PC fund, get something that will run 2700cpu/2080gpu range is likely the most power this will see, and will not have to upgrade it then.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Now it stopped making noise

I have the same problem...sometimes, with my Thermaltake PSU.

I know that the fan is the culprit, so i wait until the noise stops. lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube