add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU made clicking sounds when performing paper clip test.

Executablefiles

7 months ago

Recently I got a new Corsair CX450M after some mishaps with my build. I decided to perform a paper clip test to make sure it works. I followed the instructions on the website on how to do one. When I turned my psu on, it made this clicking sound as if a tiny taser went off inside of it. I immediately turned it off and removed the paper clip. Does this sound mean that i broke something? My motherboard is shot so I can't tell.

Edit: I got my new motherboard and everything works. Thanks for the help.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

That click is the sound of a relay activating. It is normal to hear a click when you turn on a psu.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I performed the test again to confirm. It doesn't click anymore. Would this be normal as well?

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

Yes

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. My motherboard is coming in today so hopefully it works. Thanks

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So you hooked a couple fans to the PSU when testing?

Is it a constant clicking?

Are the case fans spinning? Is the PSU fan spinning?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

1, I did. For some reason the psu did not activate any fans when performing the test, however the results were the same with another fan. 2, it was at first, then it stopped. 3, my motherboard is shot so I can't tell. My psu seems to have the feature of turning the fan off when not under a large load.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

My psu seems to have the feature of turning the fan off when not under a large load.

It doesn't, it should always run.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

The psu fan does not need to run all the time

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

And only some PSUs have semi-passive fan operation, others don't. In CX it runs all the time.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. I don't think I have to return it though since Its brand new. I'm just going to have to wait and see.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube