add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is 500w enough for an upgrade?

alex1075

7 months ago

So I recently did the dumb mistake of pairing a newly bought rx 580 8gb with a fx-6300, and I'm obviously getting bottlenecked so I am in the process of getting a new cpu probably the fx-8350 since its cheap but I was wondering if my 500w psu can handle it, I checked on an online software that calculates the build's wattage and it says it goes up to 501w but in this website it says 373w and I'm kind of confused on what should I do.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

A quality 500W PSU shouldn't have a problem, unless you're doing something unusual with your other devices (such as a very large number of drives and/or fans).

However, depending on the price of the 8350 you had in mind, as well as your budget, you might want to consider doing a CPU/motherboard/RAM upgrade, rather than continuing to invest in that platform.

I'm obviously getting bottlenecked

Are you actually unhappy with observed performance, or are you just noticing a disproportionate level of CPU vs. GPU utilization in your applications? If it's only the latter, that's not necessarily abnormal nor worth upgrading over.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Initially I was getting a serious fps issues such as battlefront 2 running at 25-30fps in any setting or resolution but lately those issues are gone and its running at a steady 50+fps in ultra settings same with most games I'm not really sure what changed but I'm not getting any noticeable issues so I think I'll follow the advice provided by you and another commenter and save up for cpu/motherboard/ram I was just going to get the new cpu since it''s around $75 and I was getting issues at the moment but now I'll just save up. Thank you!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Skip the FX 8350. Its still not going to bring its performance up to par with modern entry level CPU's and you will just be investing money into a ancient platform. Also I wouldn't run a FX 8350 with your board since it has a very low end VRM with no heatsink.

Save up for a CPU/RAM/motherboard upgrade.

I'm assuming its outervision or some manufacturer you used. It will drastically over esimate how much you will use. Ignore it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube