add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need sd card reader and optical drive, should I go external usb or internal drives?

ncb

7 months ago

This was an oversight on my part but it didn't occur to me an sd card reader wasn't a standard part of a case. All laptop and desktops I've used have had an sd card reader on the side, or top respectively.

I'm building a pc for the first time and accounted for an optical drive in an external bay, but now it seems I'd need another bay for a card reader, that has 5 or 6 inputs, and only one of which I need.

I was hoping there might be a combo internal optical drive and reader but there's seems to be nothing out there.

The next option is external usbs, but I've been trying to avoid stringing peripherals out to keep a clean look. However the cases Are a. But more interesting when you don't need front bays.

Are there any combo external usb optical drives and sd card readers out there ? I found one , but no reviews.

And any opinions on how to build for this?

Thanks

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You can get usb card readers for a few bucks, just hide it when not in use if you don't like it (or plug it in the back). My old PC has a 3.5 bay reader setup in it, my new PC has one in the case. I don't use it much as I keep taking pics on my phone, and I just usb the phone and unload it. It was nice with a camera though. Otherwise you need a case that can do it. It would seem like you could fit a laptop dvd and a card reader in a std 5.25 bay, but I don't see any, and my experience with the laptop drives has not been the best. The last option would be to get a card reader and custom it into a case, cut a hole/etc, but that may be advanced project.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube