add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
versatilesoldier

29 days ago

I've been seeing that a lot of seasonic psu's are considered trash and other psu's are often called outdated. What's bad about I an outdated psu and how do I know if it is outdated ?

Comments

• 29 days ago
  • 2 points

Modern computers put a different load on the PSU than a decade ago. For example, much higher 12V use and lower 3.3V and 5V usage, and modern GPUs can cause higher transients.

"Outdated" PSUs usually refer to old/low end topologies used.
On the primary side double forward topology was used on most PSUs. This design struggles with the transients of modern graphics cards, and may cause coil whine. Half-bridge or Full bridge with LLC Resonant is the preferred primary topology. This isn't really an issue unless you're using an RTX 2070 or above.

On the secondary side group regulation was used alot. In this design, 12V and 5V were regulated together. This was fine when loads were balanced, but in modern computers it can cause loose voltage regulation. Independent voltage regulation (via the use of DC-DC converters) is now the preferred.

Basically, an "outdated" PSU usually refers to a Double Forward + Group Regulated design.
Nowadays, even budget units such as the Corsair CX are using LLC resonant + DC-DC regulation. Better voltage stability and lesser coil whine in modern systems.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

Ah I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube