add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to connect 6 rgb case fans to 570x

bmmcpeek

1 month ago

Why are rgb case fans so damn complicated....I just built my first PC and the case (Corsair 570x) comes with 3 SP120 rgb fans. I want to add another two sp120 rgb fans to the top as intakes and one more in the back for exhaust for a total of 6 sp120 rgb fans. The case comes with a rgb hub so I can light them no problem but how do I power all 6 fans? My MOBO only has 3 case fan headers so I am not sure what to do...ideally I want software to handle the fan speeds and increase or decrease rpm based on temperatures. Can I just get a y splitter and power 2 fans per MOBO fan header? Would this half the power or rpm to each fan because of the splitter? Or do I need a fan controller like the Corsair commander pro?

Thanks a lot in advance, I really appreciate the help!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/M2QCxG

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Can I just get a y splitter and power 2 fans per MOBO fan header?

Yes, you can do this. They are 4 pin PWM fans. If you use a 2-way or 3-way splitter then the motherboard will send the PWM signal to all 3 fans. But keep in mind the motherboard will only see the RPM for 1 of the fans (usually labeled on the splitter which one has the signal wire).

Would this half the power or rpm to each fan because of the splitter?

Nope, the PWM signal is what controls the fan speed. All the fans should get 12 volts.

Or do I need a fan controller like the Corsair commander pro?

This is something optional you can add, and would allow you to control fan speeds in addition to the RGB in the same Corsair iCUE software. However, there are only 4 fan PWM ports on Commander Pro. You would still need a splitter or two.

The only thing that can be an issue is the amount of current the fans will draw on a single motherboard header. Usually, a motherboard header is rated for some amount (for example, 15 watts) and fans will have a maximum rated draw (such as 5 watts). In my example, you wouldn't want to run more than 3 fans on one header as it could pull more than the rated header current and possibly burn out something. In my experience 2 or 3 fans per header is fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube