add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need a 750W or more power supply, semi or fully modular.

Dabvere

7 months ago

So I have every part for my PC build except for the power supply: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YP9xzY

I need something that's at least 750W according to the box of my graphics card, and need it to be semi or fully modular for cable management purposes. My first priorty is getting something that won't be dead on arrival or explode, but price is also somewhat important to me.

Does the power supply I have in the build right now seem legit? What power supply would you suggest?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

other people will post more on this. but the one thing above all else. on a pc build never go cheap on a psu. that the heart of the machine. that runs everything. one other thing. is power draw goes up later on if you replace a card etc. but another thing you need to factor is if you will add other stuff later on. like a few hd,sdd, exp card like a sound card etc.

on cable thing. i have the bigger version of that case. oddly has surprising good space for cable management if you wan to stick un used cables on the back side(other side of case. not the rear)

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I suppose that would work, but I’d sleep better at night knowing that the other side of my case doesn’t look like spaghetti.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You won't need a 750w psu, you can get away with a 650w.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe, but I would feel a lot more comfortable following the recommended specifications (and you never know, I may want to upgrade later).

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

You are wasting money doing that, newer tech will require less power meaning you wasted money.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe I worded that incorrectly. What I meant is that I might add a hard drive or something later that will increase the power draw requirements of the system.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

A hard drive consumes about 5W.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RGCrxr/corsair-cx-2017-750w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020123-na

This is the lowest I'll go with a 750w psu as the hold up time is a little high and suffered an extreme load of inrush current in testing but the build quality on it is good, loaded with protections and performance on ripple and regulation is good as well.

However, you can get away with a good 550w unit for a vega 56 gpu as manufacturer only suggest 750w b/c not all people have good power supplies around the world so they try to get an overkill cheapo psu to prevent issues with the system.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zBfmP6/bitfenix-formula-gold-550w-80-gold-certified-atx-power-supply-bp-fm550ulag-7r

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube