add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Small form factor PSU for external GPU

three8one

1 month ago

I'm looking for options to power an external GPU box. The box will be custom made, therefore I don't have to use any specific format. I'm looking for something small, reliable, and affordable. It will power an Asus GTX 1070 TI Cerberus

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I have seen small psu for the really tiny cases ITX and microPCs or whatever they call them. Also look at replacements for sff or usff PCs.

Here is a 200w usff for $20 https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADP08NC1481&Description=usff%20psu&cm_re=usff_psu-_-1B4-0016-001C2-_-Product

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Those could be interesting indeed! Although I'm not sure I can see the 8-pin connector required by my GPU.. :/

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

They are not necessarily made for that, you may have to custom wire them. You may have to find out what wattage the GPU uses off what voltage rail (12v, 5v, etc) and make sure the psu can do that on that voltage. I'm not sure how small you need, a tiny one may not have gpu plugs or make voltage enough on the rails a gpu will use, is all I am saying. Should be able to find that out someplace. You don't want to get it together and have it not work. Or search for a project like that someone already did and posted someplace.

Check this out: https://graphicscardhub.com/psu-graphics-card/

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Corsair SF450 is an excellent SFX PSU that should work well for this purpose, albeit overkill.

I've heard of smaller adapters that can then use external power bricks, but I can't speak to the quality or practicality of such units.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

About 2 yr ago I bought a 450w psu on sale for $28, an enermax. But its a normal size psu. Its going to run a 2400g now. But if you want smaller than the normal form factor that would not work. If its ok just look for a sale eventually you will find one, and if you can go 350w even easier to find low prices.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

SFX and TFX units are about as small as you can go without things becoming more of a nonstandard pain in the rear. These days, TFX options have kind of fallen out of favor, but you could probably find a decent one suitable for your 1070ti.

PicoPSUs are a thing, though. You might find more advice on these from SFF-oriented forums, rather than from here.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube