add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which CPU should I get along with a 1080 TI?

woxozzPC

4 months ago

At the moment, I have an I5-9400F, however, I kinda want to upgrade. I've been seeing a lot of i7-8700K + 1080 TI builds but the 8700K (in my opinion) seems to be minorly overpriced. Is there any underrated CPU I may not be aware of that compliments the 1080 TI? I would like to spend no more than $400 on a new CPU.

At the moment, I have a GA-Z370M-DS3H motherboard.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Depends on your uses. The i5-9400f is a fantastic CPU. I would only upgrade if you're looking to stream or edit. You won't see a huge performance boost especially if you're only gaming.

The 8700k is a great CPU but of course, the 9700K is the newest version available, however, the 9700K lacks hyper-threading which the 8700k has. At the same time, the 9700K has two more cores than the 8700K but that won't make a difference for gaming.

You could look into the Ryzen 7 2700/2700X which is great but it will lack in single-core performance which is what you want for gaming. Honestly, your i5 would probably perform better than the 2700X for 1080p gaming. You would also have to get a new motherboard.

If you really want to upgrade, I would look into getting a pre-owned 8700k + Z370 motherboard for overclocking otherwise your CPU is probably the best to have.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

At the moment, I'm playing on a 1920x1080 60Hz monitor. I'm planning to get a 1440p 144Hz monitor in the upcoming week. Will this affect the stress on my CPU? Or just the GPU?

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh you're planning 1440p? In that case, it would apply more stress on the GPU rather than CPU. The higher the resolution, the more GPU-bound gaming becomes.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That's what I thought. I've been using 1080p 60Hz monitors all my life so I don't know exactly what parts get stressed with higher resolutions and refresh rates. Thanks.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Is there any underrated CPU I may not be aware of that compliments the 1080 TI?

Yea, the 9400F.

Unless you plan on overclocking and/or doing heavy CPU workloads, keep the 9400F for a while longer.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube