add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Pc build. Wondering if there are any issues and if its powerful enough?

ajixguy

7 months ago

I have been trying to come up with a mid end gaming pc on a reasonably tight budget, the most important thing that I want from it is to be able to consistently keep 60+fps in packed fortnite late games (where my PlayStation struggled). I will play at 1920x1080 with all settings as low as possible apart from view distance which will be as high as possible.

From what I've gathered the RX580 is a great value graphics card, but I can afford a different one (maybe a GTX1060-6GB) if necessary.

Another sight worry is the motherboard doesn't support DDR4-3000 memory, from what I know this shouldn't be a problem but I am not totally sure.

Thanks!

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BYrdkd

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Your build looks pretty good for the price.

• I would definitely get a 1660/1660ti over the 1060 if you end up going that route. The 580 is capable of 1080p60 gaming, especially on low settings so you should be okay but the 1660ti would be far more powerful if your budget can squeeze it in. The 1660ti would allow you to max out graphics and still get 1080p60 if not a bit more. As mentioned though, the 580 is still a good option.

• The one big issue with your list is the single channel RAM. You will absolutely want to get dual channel RAM so instead of a 1x8 stick, get a 2x4 kit. Ryzen thrives off of not only fast RAM but dual channel. You'll cripple performance with the 1x8.

• Of course, if you're building this only for Fortnite, the 240GB SSD is fine but you might consider tossing in a 500GB-1TB HDD if you want to install several games. 240GB doesn't last long after the OS, programs and a few games. AAA titles run anywhere from 40-90GB in size. Plus, the drive will run slower if it's packed full.

• The motherboard does technically support 3000mhz RAM -- it'll just downclock the 3000mhz RAM down to 2933mhz which is essentially the same. Plus, no RAM runs at its advertised speed unless XMP is enabled or with a manual overclock, which on an A320 board, I am unsure if it would be able to do so with no issues.

• Just keep in mind that OEM version of Windows locks to the motherboard so if you ever build a new system or swap out the board, you will need to purchase another OEM license which brings you to the normal price of the full version of Windows 10. Full version typically runs between $140-160 I believe.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the in-depth response, that offered some really useful insights. I think I'll get this build with dual channel memory and I will consider upgrading to a 1660/1660ti in future if I find myself wanting to run something more demanding.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. Definitely swap out the memory. I know when I built my first PC, I planned to only use it for a couple of games but when you get the pleasure of using programs such as Steam, you'll end up buying/installing a lot more than planned and then eventually, you'll never touch your gaming console again haha.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube