add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Feedback and suggestions wanted: ~$1500 build

jaxon121

7 months ago

Hi all,

I'd much appreciate any comments, suggestions, critique, etc: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9rs7xG

Here's what I'm shooting for:

• approx. $1500 budget (not including monitor)

• 60+fps 1440p gaming with current A-list titles, at least high settings if not ultra

• clean aesthetics with mostly (not all) white components w/static, solid color lighting (no over-the-top pulsing, rainbows, etc.)

• fairly future-proof, able to do the above with new titles slated for the next 1-3 years

• will be on a 24-inch (or maybe 27") G-Sync monitor (not in list)

Main concerns/questions:

Am I getting excellent price-vs-performance balance in every component? (I know I'm splurging a little going for the 2070 over a 2060 GPU, but I want the extra bit of FPS)

Will the 2070 GPU be bottlenecked by an overclocked Ryzen 5 2600x?

Is it worth the extra $25-30 for the NZXT H500i case, rather than the H500?

How can I ensure positive pressure air flow with 2 intake (from the Kraken H62) and 2 exhaust (included with case) fans?

Since the RTX line is pretty new and does ray tracing that's not yet widely supported, can I be confident that the 2070 will reasonably handle future games that support it?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $179.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $152.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard $149.89 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $124.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $115.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $509.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.39 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1593.01
Mail-in rebates -$70.00
Total $1523.01
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-17 19:07 EDT-0400

Thanks for your feedback!

Edit: per convos with icetorch (thanks!), swapped out the Samsung EVO 860 to a Crucial MX500 1TB. $35 less but still carries a 5-year warranty.

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I wouldn't count too heavily on ray tracing, it's a gimmick. There has been enough testing of ray tracing on these RTX GPUs to show it's not all it's cracked up to be.

One concern I have is your fan orientation. The Kraken H62 should be an exhaust fan... Why would you want to pull hot/warm air into the case through the radiator? To create a positive air pressure you need more intake fans than there are exhaust fans. Using the Kraken as exhause means you will need three intake fans. Don't forget that the Kraken H62 uses 140mm fans which will move more air than two 120mm fans. The H500/i does not support this configuration. I would use the Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (White) ATX Mid Tower Case | $44.98 from Newegg. It supports the Kraken and 2 140mm + additional 120mm fans.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the comments! I was under the impression that in the case of a mid-tower case with a config like the H500i, the natural/recommended positioning for the AIO radiator + fan(s) would be in the front as intakes, especially since heat rises. But I'll take another look at the Carbide 275R, as that's a really clean-looking case I was also considering!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I think for your budget you should forget about the 2600X and go straight for the top of the range 8 core 16 thread 2700X. If you choose this CPU and use AMD's beautiful included Wraith Prism cooler instead of the Kraken, you will save money, have better gaming performance and a processor with greater longevity.

If you go down this route you can also simply use a more powerful intake fan to create positive pressure. As to the RTX 2070 handling games in the future, we would expect so, this being said technology is advancing all the time and there are no guarantees regarding the future no matter what you buy, but the 2070 does represent a good price to performance ratio compared to many of the other GPU's available.

Here are a few changes to consider:

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor $294.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $129.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $124.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 860 QVO 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive $117.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $529.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT - H500i (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.49 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Corsair - ML140 Pro LED 97 CFM 140mm Fan $24.67 @ OutletPC
Total $1511.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-16 16:41 EDT-0400
  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

With TLC and MLC SSDs still on the market I would not pick up a QLC SSD like the Samsung 860 QVO, unless, its significantly cheaper.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

So there's not much difference in gaming performance (including load speeds; I hate long loads) between TLC, MLC, and QLC?

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Very, very low differences on load times between any SSDs in games. You would see a larger performance difference between a NVME SSD and SATA SSD when transferring large files frequently.

Differences between TLC, MLC, and QLC are mainly NAND endurance and some performance differences. Quad Level Cell, NAND based SSDs have much lower endurance than Triple Level Cell and Multi Level Cell NAND SSDs.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Very cool, thanks for the tips. I hadn't even thought about the endurance!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

QLC has very low endurance unless you go for 1TB or higher. Less than 50% of TLC/MLC of prev gen.

My criteria for SSD is basically this:

Storage: Cheapest SSD with decent endurance.

Performance: M.2 NVME SSD with good endurance. Adata XPG SX6000/8200 Pro, HP EX920, and Samsung 860 EVO are currently good value NVME ssds.

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Read my separate opinion in the bottom post. Thoughts?

[comment deleted]
  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks, you and icetorch have both given me some good things to think about. The benchmarks I've seen show very little difference for gaming between the 2600X and 2700X, which is why I figured the money I save on the 2600X can go towards an AIO cooler so I push the 2600X more with overclocking? (I don't do much in the way of heavy-duty applications that take advantage of the extra cores and threads in the 2700X.) Thoughts on this?

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/

There's a sale for Ryzen 2600x for $180 atm and a very nice bundle deal(-$35) with the B450 Tomahawk which ends in 3 hours. So basically you get the B450 Tomahawk for regular sale price of $115 and the $2600x for $165 2600x. Its $35 more than the frequent $130 sale on the 1700. I would bite the bullet on this bundle. You're right that the 2 extra cores from the 2700x wont give you much performance unless you're doing multiple tasks like streaming or having multiple games up like in an mmo. 6 core cpus will also tax the VRMs on the motherboard less than the 8 core cpus.

I would still immediately upgrade to the Ryzen 3000 7nm cpus when they are released (at normal prices), though. A 280mm rad is plenty of cooling regardless if it was the 6 or 8 core Ryzen cpu.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3908232&comboType=2

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for even more tips! Sadly, I can't pull the trigger just yet on buying components; I'm actually planning to buy/build this in about 2 months (after my very pricey wedding!). I live in Hawaii and even with AC, I have to toss in some good cooling, so I'm glad to hear a 280mm rad should be plenty!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I am pleased that we have been able to help. After reading your comment though, I thought it seemed a little strange that AMD's top of the range CPU with 2 extra cores & 4 extra threads isn't much better than the 2600X, so I checked out some of the benchmarks myself.

Just looking at CPU.userbenchmark/, it suggests an average performance improvement of 13%, not massive considering the huge extra comparative cost but still perhaps noticeable. However. after going on to watch further actual in game benchmarks the FPS improvements appeared barely 6% and for a 60% price increase I think you may well have a very good point.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700X-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600X/3958vs3956

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Cool, I'm glad to have that confirmed... been trying to do all my homework before doing this build but sometimes you run into conflicting info, so it's hard to know for sure! If I had more cash I'd def spring for the 2700X, but decided the money I'd save on the 2600X can go towards an AIO cooler and some better overclocking. XD Thanks again for the discussion!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

CPU: Right now I would actually recommend you get the Ryzen 1700 for $130 on sale atm. Ryzen 3000 will be released in July so availability will be in 3-4 months. Performance differences between Ryzen 1000 series and 2000 is not too much but the next gen 7nm Ryzen 3000 chips are expected to perform much better. I expect the 2000 series to drop $50-100 while the 1000 series $30-50.

Getting the 1700 means that you won't lose too much value. Although it may be a bit harder to sell the 1700 at first, as the 3000 is expected to be a worthwhile upgrade.

CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro same performance as X62, but no RGB. $40 difference, up to you. There is also the RGB variant of the H115i Pro that syncs the Corsair icue software with the ram, but it doesn't look good as the kraken, in my opinion.

Motherboard: No opinion on motherboard its okay. Some read material: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/a00nqg/gn_and_buildzoid_best_motherboards_for_amd_ryzen/ https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9uc6bi/am4_b450x470_vrm_tier_list/

Ram: Any reason not to go for a cheaper $20-30 16GB RGB 3200Mhz ram?

SSD: Samsung has great warranty, reliability, and endurance with their 860 EVO. However, I would not spend $50 more for the EVO 860 over a cheaper MLC/TLC and even dram-less SSD. If you want performance, I recommended you get a M.2 PCIE SSD. Otherwise, if you go for a SATA SSD then its recommended you go for the cheaper available SSDs. For example, the Crucial MX500 or Adata SU800. The 1TB SU800 actually has higher rated endurance than the Samsung; 800TBW vs 600TBW. There's even a RGB SSD; T-Force Delta RGB $119.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions, this is helpful. I'll do some homework on the 1700... I'm actually planning to do this build in about 2 months, so I'm willing to wait a bit if we're anticipating AMD price drops!

I do prefer the look of the Kraken cooler, I confess. Same with the RAM; I'm paying a small premium there just because I like the RGB effects on Corsair's sticks.

SSD: I do want performance, but after digging around, sources I've found seem to indicate that M.2 PCIE or NVMe doesn't make a huge diff over 6 gig/s SATA III. Reliability is def a big one too me, as I don't want to deal with data loss (and yes, I do back up my data, but time spent restoring crap is time not spent leveling up!). That said, I'll take another look at other brands and see if I can get a good deal. Honestly, this is another place where I'm torn; I'd love to have an M.2 1TB and a second 1TB SSD (SATA, M.2, whatever) for more storage and backup. But I think I'll save a second drive for later, when I can afford it and can get a crazy Black Friday-type deal.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

I would take a look at cheap M.2 SATA SSDs. M.2 NVME SSDs may have some overheating issues (not M.2 SATA) and going M.2 SATA over SATA cable means you have a much more reliable connection. The M.2 Sata shouldn't be that much more than the 2.5 Sata SSD. I figured you were going for an RGB build.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm doing a little RGB, but want to keep it pretty clean and simple: RAM, AIO cooler, a little on the mobo, and probably what the H500i case comes with. Thanks again for all the storage tips, I'll have to think all this through!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Any thoughts of perhaps getting a good CPU air cooler (vs the AIO) and perhaps put the money saved towards an RTX2080? Just sharing a thought which you might not have had yet.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Boy do I wish I could afford a 2080, but even the $80-100 diff between a good air cooler and the X62 AIO wouldn't offset the price difference of jumping from a 2070 to a 2080! Of course, if anyone is a YouTube review guru who has extra ones lying around, I'll help you Marie Kondo your 2080 collection. XP

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

How about this if you really want a 2080:

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $179.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler ARCTIC - Freezer 34 eSports DUO CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard $129.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair - Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $129.99 @ Corsair
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $109.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card $699.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT - H500 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair - CX (2017) 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $64.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit $99.49 @ SuperBiiz
Case Fan Aerocool - DS 140mm White 93.4 CFM 140mm Fan $13.99 @ SuperBiiz
Total $1538.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-17 17:50 EDT-0400
  • 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Hmm, that's a very interesting mix! I'd wanna research the CPU cooler (I want a whisper-quiet rig!) and I'd be willing to bump up to a Gold PSU for another 20-30 bucks. I'll think this over. Thanks again!

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey Jaxon,

For ~ $50, if you can afford to go a bit higher, I would recommend the Scythe Mugen Rev B. It is whisper quiet and does a great job of cooling my 2700x. I set it to full speed and cannot hear it. Also, if the budget allows it later, you could add a second fan (push/pull) for an additional $17. Food for thought?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, noob alert dumb question: How do you copy/paste part lists in the Forums? (I'm new here. haha)

• 7 months ago
  • 3 points

OK, under the big blue banner that says Current Part List you'll find the word "Markup", if you click the little icon with PCPARTPICKER logo next to it, it brings up a box with your entire build ready to paste straight into the forum, just copy all the highlighted text and then paste it, it automatically formats it for you.

• 7 months ago
  • 2 points

Fantastic, thanks! I'll edit my original post with this immediately!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube