add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

M.2 Socket

Bygons

8 months ago

Ignoring the obvious form factor issues for a moment.

Would a PCIe expansion card work if connected somehow to a M.2 slot?

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not impossible. It's just not very practical. But there's been all sorts of wonky solutions over the years for a variety of use cases.

Generally motherboards should have native PCI-E slots that would make a m.2 to PCI-E adapter sort of pointless. My other concern would be does the m.2 interface deliver as much power as a standard PCI-E x2 or x4 slot? Given the intended purpose of m.2, and the low power requirements of SSDs I would imagine that it wouldn't. I don't know for sure, but in that case, you would be pretty limited from that angle too.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

If socket supports PCIe then yes you could do it. Double check with mobo specs/manual regarding compatibility - not just the slot itself but the device that will occupy the expansion card.

[comment deleted]
  • 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Only if the M.2 socket supports PCIe. Not all of them do. Some are just using the SATA III interface but not the PCIe.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube