PCPartPicker

• Register

Kingston A400 vs Team L5 Lite 3D vs ADATA Ultimate SU650 (480gb)

Forum Search

Guidelines

• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

adamboyce556 5 days ago

cant choose between the 3 above for a programs drive. any help? cant find benchmarks on userbenchmark for l5 lite 3d.

Comments Sorted by:

Granddy 1 Build 2 points 5 days ago

Get the L5 Lite 3D as that one has DRAM (unlike A400) and DRAM cache (unlike the SU650).

Those DRAM will help out on longevity and speed when the ssd starts to get filled up.

adamboyce556 submitter 1 point 5 days ago

Didn’t know the L5 had a dram cache but sweet

pcbldragain 1 point 5 days ago

They all look like sata ssd drives, ssd is faster than sata so far as I know most all of them run at max speed 600mb/s which usually comes out in bench to 550 real speed on sata III mobo. Its a huge increase over a hdd that are around 100-150. To go faster you nee a Nvme m.2 (not the sata m.2) and your mobo needs to support it. They can go up to expensive ones 4X faster than sata, but you wont see that huge increase like you do hdd swap to ssd sata because hdd is just that slow to start with and makes you wait many seconds to boot or load big files. Checking benchmarks is fine, or check factory specs, and check reviews to make sure they are not blowing up or some other issue but sata ssd are pretty standard now. A good brand may be a little better but I don't see people having problems with lesser brands for typical home use.

NVMe is not practical for my use case, I’m using Ryzen which reduces my PCIe lanes to my GPU. It’s not much faster for what I use it for, and I want a 2.5in drive not m.2

Gilroar 1 Build 2 points 5 days ago

NVMe is not practical for my use case, I’m using Ryzen which reduces my PCIe lanes to my GPU.

Ryzen has dedicated PCIe lanes for NVME storage it doesn't interfere with the x16 graphics connection unless you are trying to use more then one PCIe SSD.

ryzen 1st gen on ASRock mobos usually cuts GPU lanes

Gilroar 1 Build 1 point 5 days ago

Only on the secondary M.2 which ASRock runs on many boards.

The primary M.2 is hardwired to the CPU using the dedicated M.2 lanes AMD has on Ryzen.

Sata is always shared because there is limited Sata resources but that's about it.

Edit: If you mean this splitting.

• 1 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 Slot (PCIE2: x8 mode) (If you use Athlon 2xxGE series APU, PCIE2 slot will run at x4 mode.)

1 x Ultra M.2 Socket (M2_1), supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s) (with Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge and Pinnacle Ridge) or Gen3 x2 (16 Gb/s) (with Athlon 2xxGE series APU and Raven Ridge 2)

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M%20Steel%20Legend/index.asp#Specification

That is because AMD cut down the graphics lanes on the APU mobile parts that are repurposed as desktop models.

I thought it affected all lanes as i heard that 1st gen ryzen only has 16 lanes but alright ill take your word for it.

pcbldragain 1 point 5 days ago

I have used sandisk ssd for quite a while and just bought an adata gammix m.2 I have not fired up yet.

I’m not saying NVMe isn’t a great innovation and I know it’s very useful but for my use case i don’t need NVMe. Would prefer SATA due to its much more wide compatibility and the ability to use it with most external drive cages