add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is this PC switchable?

vincent_2006

7 months ago

hi PCPP i was wondering if i bought this PC if i would be able to switch some of the stuff in it e.g. the memory, stirage, etc.. thx in advance! oh and heres the link https://www.dellrefurbished.com/dell-optiplex-9020-200721.html?

Comments

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Storage, absolutely. Swapping out the existing HDD with a higher speed and higher capacity one would be very quick. As for other components, the question would be... Why? You can't put a GPU in it, there is no space. You could swap out the processor, though I'm not sure why you would want to, you wouldn't get much out of doing it. The same thing with ram. You'd have to check the mobo to see what speed ram is compatible, but it's likely already got the fastest or near fastest clock speed that it could run.

What are you trying to get out of your rig? Is this just a basic workstation for writing papers and a little web surfing? Are you trying to game?

If you just want a cheapo work station for school work or basic business, keep it as is, or replace the HDD.

If you want to game, you're going to need something better.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

could i use it even if i just wanted to play fortnite( which someone said it doesnt need that good requirements) at medium settings?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

also i was thinking i would switch to a bigger case is that possible?

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Fortnite has fairly low requirements for sure, but this PC probably couldn't handle them. That PC is the kind that is/was used in offices for regular day to day work like sending e-mails, typing letters, and other fairly basic functions.

Do you have a budget? Building a PC doesn't have to be horribly expensive. I'm assuming that if you want this 300 dollar rig you either have some money saved up, or your guardians would be willing to buy it for you.

Do you have peripherals? A monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speakers/headset/headphones? These are all things that cost more money and need to inform your decisions for building a pc. There are prebuilt PC's in many stores like walmart and bestbuy, or online at amazon, that would likely cover what you want for 500-800 dollars.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

i have all the peripherals so all i need is the actual pc. and im using some $$$ from my bank account btw

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, it's good you're already saving. I sent you a DM with a parts build to show you what you can put together for cheap.

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

okay thx so much!

• 7 months ago
  • 1 point

also is there any way i could get a cheaper cpu maybe amd athlon 200ge or something?

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

why this one, well maybe bc my budget is 200 and this is normally what 350$, but its on sale for 150$! and bc im 12 and dont hv much $$$ maybe???????????

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 7 months ago
  • 1 point

oh!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube