• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

undeadrebel1441 5 days ago

I'll start by saying that I know that this site is meant for PC's but I figured I'd ask anyways. I have a PS4 Pro with an already replaced 2tb internal HDD which I would assume is running at 5400rpm. (I bought the unit like this) I was wondering if the Samsung MZ-76E2T0B/AM 2TB 860 Evo would be a good replacement for my current drive.

I want my drive to be at least 2tb. I'd rather have an SSD (so I can just swap it into my pc and format if need be.) If I can't do that would anyone have any recommendations to a good 2.5 HDD that's over 5400RPM?

Thank you

Comments Sorted by:

kschendel 1 Build 3 points 4 days ago

If you've already put a SATA hard drive into that thing and it worked, you can put any 2.5" SATA SSD in and it should work. I don't know what the internals of a PS4 look like, you might need a 2.5" to 3.5" sled adapter of some sort, or you might be able to just let the SSD sit somewhere.

An 860 EVO is fine but probably overpriced. WD Blue or Crucial MX500 would be my go-to units for general use. The Micron 2TB used to be cheapest but not any more, it seems.

undeadrebel1441 submitter 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

thank you. I'll look into it.

mroshaw 1 Build 2 points 3 days ago

I've been looking into this too and found some caveats around PS4 (and PS4 Pro) internal HDD options.

I've been looking for > 2TB options, but have failed to find any HDD over that capacity that's compatible with the PS4 enclosure. Most, if not all, 2.5" internal HDDs over 2TB are 15mm in height, which is too large to fit comfortably in the PS4 caddy. There are hacks and mods that you can apply to wedge one in, but I personally wouldn't be comfortable doing so.

A 2TB SSD should work, if it's the right height, but will cost you a considerable premium. To what degree you'll benefit, I have no idea. My early experience with an OG PS4 was that load times weren't massively impacted when I stuck an old Samsung SSD in there. Up to 4TB and you're looking at a cost greater than your Pro, so you'd really want to see a massive load time impact for this to be worth your money.

The conclusion I've come to is that an external USB 3.0 drive is the best bet and that's what I'm using right now, for extended storage in addition to the OOTB internal 1TB HDD. You're looking at as little as £90 for a 4TB external drive, that should keep you going for a while. You could look for faster RPM drives, or hybrid drives, but again - I'm not 100% sure it's worth the extra investment, in terms of loading times.

undeadrebel1441 submitter 1 Build 1 point 3 days ago

Thank you for the info, as of right now My pro's load times and boot times are somewhat slow, I intend to change out the Thermal solution as well as the hdd. Mainly because the hdd is slowly but surely dying on me. I know that most 2TB or higher SSD's are worth more than the Playstation 4 pro itself making the "upgrade" not worth it. I still don't mind doing that though because I'll never get rid of my system.

It definitely is not worth the upgrade though.

mroshaw 1 Build 2 points 3 days ago

Yeah, I have a launch Pro and it was getting very hot and noisy. Very easy to remove the top cover and blow dust out of the fans, but I'm guessing you're going one step further and looking to replace the thermal paste? I'd love to do that, but not yet confident enough to go there - will you let me know how you get on with doing that?

undeadrebel1441 submitter 1 Build 1 point 2 days ago

Neither am I to be honest. I am too scared to mess something up hence why I have yet to do it. I will keep you updated though if I do manage to find enough courage to swap thermal paste on the system.

pcbldragain 1 point 4 days ago

I tried to put one in an older PC and could not. The sata was an early one and had an ide controller in it. The OS could not talk to the SSD, and so it could never run cleanup on it. Not sure consoles can either.

undeadrebel1441 submitter 1 Build 1 point 4 days ago

from what I've read sata II is good. I can use Sata III but it will read/write as Sata II. I'm still looking into it more.

pcbldragain 1 point 3 days ago

I put a ssd in a win7 PC with sata II, and it is WAY faster believe me. It is now a core 2 quad cpu and 8gb mem (the max). I was under impression you have to run cleanup on any ssd is why I said that. Win 7 and up provides for this though the ssd I have bought comes with cleanup software too, but I don't profess to know exactly how it works.

Looks like people are using ssd in ps4, so maybe that is not an issue.

vincent_2006 1 point 3 days ago

u can get 1tb of western digital and i think its 7200 rpm for like 30$

undeadrebel1441 submitter 1 Build 1 point 2 days ago

Thank you.

vincent_2006 1 point 2 days ago

np!