add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PCIe Lanes confusion with R3 2200G paired with an RX 580

tanino

1 month ago

Hello,

I am getting a bit confused with the whole PCIe limitations of the 2200G when it comes to using it with a dedicated GPU.

Basically I have a 2200G that I'm using with an RX580 on a B450 chipset, that's no problem, runs fine. What I'm wondering is if I add a PCIe x1 device (Namely a Wireless Network Adapter) will it impact my GPU's performance by cutting one of its lanes?

Its probably worth to note that I am not planning to use the M.2 Device slot on this system so these lanes are not being used. Am I correct in assuming that if im not using an m.2 device that the lanes used for this would then be allocated to a second PCIe device instead of taking lanes from the GPU? (As in, shared lanes instead of them being hard locked to only be used by the m.2)

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Basically I have a 2200G that I'm using with an RX580 on a B450 chipset, that's no problem, runs fine. What I'm wondering is if I add a PCIe x1 device (Namely a Wireless Network Adapter) will it impact my GPU's performance by cutting one of its lanes?

No additional lanes are wired off of the x4 normally used for the primary NVME M.2 which is somewhat rare, or more likely they are wired from the chipset and are Gen 2.0 which shouldn't matter too much for a wireless card unless you are running one of the most recent versions.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'll be running a IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac card via 1x pcie interface, it should be fine I think because I won't be running it at more than like 867/400 Mbps rates. PCIe 2.0 should not matter in this instance. Unless I am wrong?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Yup You should be fine.

If You were looking at AX or newer in theory you can run out of bandwidth on a Gen 2.0 but that would also heavily depend on if you can get full use of what those standards can transfer.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

As I understand it (which may not be perfect) is the APU takes 8 lanes for graphics from the gpu slot of normally 16 lanes, if you use the igpu or not. A RX580 should run fine on 8 lanes left in the 1st pcie and if you get a huge gpu the 2200g cpu will bottleneck it anyway. Most of the mobo split things with x1 pci and sata and m.2. So you need to be careful of that, but I don't think that affects the first gpu slot anyway. I could be wrong but not seen that. I don't think you can run 2 video cards because it makes the two slots x4 each using the 8 lanes left, if the mobo is capable of dual cards. Find out what is shared on your board, some only disable 1 or 2 sata (out of 6) for a pci x1 and such, some its only the 2nd m.2 that shares, etc. They are not all the same, though I been looking at b450 and x470 boards. I would check the specs on your specific board.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard only has one 16x slot, follow by a 1x and a 4x so this should be a non issue. The 4x and 1x slots are PCIe Gen2.0 which is run off the chipset is what I understand. If this is correct I should be fine to use them.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube