add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Semi vs Full PSU?

Cytracx

4 months ago

Not sure if I should buy a semi or full modular PSU. Here is the one I'm looking at right now but just looking for other people's input. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $189.89 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $85.98 @ Newegg Business
Storage Team - L5 LITE 3D 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $28.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card $189.99 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case $39.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.97 @ Amazon
Monitor Acer - SB220Q bi 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor $89.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Redragon - K552 Wired Gaming Keyboard $34.99 @ Amazon
Mouse Logitech - G203 Prodigy Wired Optical Mouse $27.63 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $962.30
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $927.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-12 12:19 EDT-0400

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends of how much time you're willing to do cable management but full gives you complete control of what wires you want while semi has some hard wired cables but are usually needed in a normal build like EPS and 24 pin connector.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't really matter because the hardwired cables on a semi modular unit have to be used anyway.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Can also depend on how much your case shows the wiring, and how much you care of course. I don't have mine together yet but my window case looks like most of it will be behind the mobo and the psu is covered in the bottom. All the wires are behind the psu right now as no mobo yet. The drives are hidden too, so I doubt much is going to show anyway. This psu I had for a spare it is just a cheap 450 with no modular.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I prefer fully modular. It just allows for a lot more flexibility, when it comes to your build.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd prefer the semi, because I will need to use the attached cables anyway, and any cables that I don't need can be stored somewhere for future upgrades. Really, the only benefits I see from a fully modular PSU are these: 1) If you need to replace the PSU with another fully modular one, it's as simple as disconnecting only the PSU, replacing it, and plugging the cables back in, assuming the PSU's are the same brand. 2) Most fully modular PSU's have a higher efficiency rating than the other PSU types. 3) There IS a bit of extra flexibility in routing your cables.

Also, your build look great. Personally, I would double the space of your SSD, but, overall, neat build!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I would prefer a fully modular psu for the cable management! But if the looks of the pc don’t matter or you’re ready to go through more trouble to get the attached cables in the right place the semi modular psu is good to. But don’t get a none modular psu because they are a real mess in my opinion!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Fully modular PSUs are great for those who want to get aftermarket cables for looks. With how decent the cable management is in that case you selected you have plenty of room to stuff unused cables away out of sight so even getting a fully non modular PSU won't matter much.

Semi modular PSUs often have the 24 pin mobo cable + 8 pin CPU cable + PCIe power connector permanently connected. With your GPU you will be using all 3 of those anyhow and the extra cables you can leave out for less cables to stuff in the basement of the PC case. If you are not using custom cables there will be zero difference in a modular and semi modular PSUs as the cables permanently connected are ones you are using anyhow. Sure people like the "freedom" of being able to choose if they want to plug in cables they must use anyhow but it is really moot. There is more of an argument between semi vs non modular for not plugging in cables you are simply not going to use at all.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting! Very informative, thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube