add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading a old work pc.

Vaa26Al

8 months ago

I got a old HP pc standing around and I want to put a new grapicard and some ram in it and play some games. The PC is my dads old work pc. So my question is: is it going to be a problem upgrading some parts. I know the hardrive got some kind of encryption on it because it wont let me instal a new version of windows on it.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello, what model of hp do you have and what are the specs of the machine?

Also, **** that hard drive.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Look it up model and see whats in there, look at system specs or try to run cpuid on it, etc. Some HP have goofy PSU and harder to replace so if you put a big video card in that PSU may not have enough power. If its ancient it may not be worth upgrading. I just upgraded a 2 core pentium far as it can to a c2quad, ssd, mem, gpu, but its only for browsing and simple games not big games, so it works great now. And parts for it were cheap the cpu was $16 used on ebay, some parts new, the ssd only expensive thing and I can take it to another machine some day. So it depends on what games you want to play and how old the PC is. If its an icore (i3, i5, etc) you have better chance it can game better.

Yes the SSD made a huge difference in this machine, and its only sata2. Hdd suck unless just for storage.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube