• No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

britinva 6 days ago

I built the following gaming PC for my daughter quite a few years ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GBxHnQ

Any suggestions what a good upgraded graphic card would be suitable for this build?

Thanks in advance. Mark

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Pentium G3258 3.2 GHz Dual-Core Processor -
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-H81M-HD3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard -
Memory Crucial - Ballistix Sport XT 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $72.98 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung - 840 EVO 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive -
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $39.00 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI - Radeon R7 265 2 GB Video Card -
Case Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case $63.04 @ Amazon
Power Supply XFX - TS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $79.98 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive LG - GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $27.49 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 8.1 OEM 64-bit -
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $282.49
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-12 08:22 EDT-0400

Comments Sorted by:

Potatogamer1230 1 point 6 days ago

if its for gaming then it might be wise to upgrade the cpu too.

kschendel 1 Build 1 point 6 days ago

I assume you're wanting to upgrade to get higher gaming performance? An RX 570 or 580 would be a nice boost at a decent price, but as potatogamer says, you will very likely then expose the limitations of the CPU. If you're getting OK frame rates at low graphics settings and mostly want to be able to play at higher settings, the GPU upgrade will help. If frame rates aren't where you want even at lowest settings, you're probably running out of CPU, and the graphics upgrade won't help that at all.

britinva submitter 1 point 5 days ago

I'm not sure why she feels needs a new Graphic card - will ask.

Looks like the RX 570 chipset is in a number of cards - seems MSI RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC is highest rated...... that recommended?

mark5916 1 point 5 days ago

What kschendel mentioned above.

you're probably running out of CPU power, and the graphics upgrade won't help that much. <<

A RX 570 would definitely get you more fps, but game-play may not be that smooth at instances.

britinva submitter 1 point 4 days ago

Apparently Assassins Creed Oddesy will not play at all, and she is having issues with Fallout 4.

She looke into Assassins Creed Oddesy and appears was Graphic card was too old.

So any ideas if that is the Graphics cared or CPU?

Is 'MSI RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC' a good choice? Or moving up a bit in price to XFX RX-580P8DFD6?

Assume if still has issues then upgrade CPU is next......... any suggestions on a CPU that would be compatible?

britinva submitter 1 point 3 days ago

Assassins Creed Oddesy

Minimum Requirements:

CPU: AMD FX 6300, Intel Core i5 2400, Ryzen 3 1200

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 285 or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660

Recommended requirements:

CPU: AMD FX-8350, Intel Core i7-3770, Ryzen 5 1400

GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290X or NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

Not knowing much about GPU's

1) Based on the RX 570 or RX 580 recommendation is the RX 580 work the extra $30-40?

2) What is the better GPU manufacturer, MSI, XFX, other?

pcbldragain 1 point 3 days ago

The RX580 8gb is pretty popular price/performance today. 570 is just a little less, it depends on what you need, the way I look at it is I'm just buying time to the next upgrade. I've had good luck with MSI cards but really don't know if one manufacturer is better than another. More fans can be better they run slower/quieter and also you can OC the card faster if you need to. The 580 does have more compute units in it than a 570. A 570 can be OC to about the same as a stock 580, of course a OC 580 is faster.

Looks like you can put a lot of upgrades i3/5/7 cpu in there (according to your budget), pick one good for games usually higher ghz or post in cpu section.

britinva submitter 1 point 2 days ago

I've gone with XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX Edition

Have told her good chance she may need to upgrade processor.

Thanks all for help.