add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can't decide on storage!

Arizzle4l

8 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Motherboard Gigabyte - Z390 AORUS MASTER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $294.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $294.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-11 03:31 EDT-0400

Above is the board I was thinking of getting. I have a 1TB 860 evo (2.5") that I'll likely keep using for extra storage, but I want to try out / include m.2 for the first time. Can't decide on which to buy. I feel like the 970 pro 1TB is a bit overpriced. I'll be using the m.2 for the OS and prolly w/e main game im playing. Will mainly just be playing games and streaming. Don't plan on video editing or development type stuff. Below is what i was considering. Feel free to recommend other good m.2's you've had success with as I'm a complete noob when it comes to these.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
Storage HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $139.99 @ Newegg Business
Storage Intel - 660p Series 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $114.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - P1 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $104.89 @ OutletPC
Storage ADATA - XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $169.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $529.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-11 18:22 EDT-0400

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

The 970 Pro is for very write-intensive usages, databases and heavy duty raw photo/video editing and the like. Of the three you listed, the EX920 would be perfectly fine. Another option that's OK for a boot/gaming drive is the Intel 660p which Intel has priced very aggressively; it's a QLC drive meaning not good for lots of big writing (slows down when the write cache overflows), but perfectly fine for OS and gaming use.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes the intel 660 does 1800mb/s read, sata 600, the expensive m.2 like EVO do 3200 on large files. Last I looked its $109 for 1tb a really good deal. I bought a 480gb adata s11 it was ~90, just before the intel was marked down. So the 660 is 3X sata speed, if you go with a better nvme you have to decide if cost is worth it as the 660 isnt slow. If you move a lot of huge files 3200 would be better, like video editing/etc.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

I've got a couple of Intel 660p's they're fine. The Crucial P1 should be OK too. Prices have come down so much it really makes budget NVMe's attractive. They're faster than SATA, and more than fast enough for most users, and cheap enough that you can live with it not being top tier like the 970 pro, because the price/performance is just so good.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube