add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

just a question.

xPete

4 months ago

I am trying to enter overlocking for my cpu and gpu. but do I need to overclock my gpu even if I had a cap 60hz 4kmonitor? I wont be getting more fps on that plus I have the asus rtx 2080. I have no problem playing games actually but the cpu needs to keep up since its just an ryzen 5 2600x I just want no bottlenecking to happen.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

but do I need to overclock my gpu

No, not really. Some games will perform extremely well at 4K with your 2080, some will not. Adjust settings for the games that run a little slower, nothing wrong with medium settings if that is what it takes to play smoothly.

its just an ryzen 5 2600x I just want no bottlenecking to happen

Had this Ryzen released just three years ago, it would have been the best consumer CPU by a mile. It is far more powerful that you think. It trades blows with an i7-8700K CPU which is still considered one of the best CPU's for gaming. It will not be holding back on any GPU available now or released in next 5 years.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yeah definitely if you are going to overclock the Intel wins hands down. With a bit of silicon lottery luck, you could be a whole GHZ up on the Ryzen. There is no way the 2600X can compete with 25% less clock speed. At the other end though, stock settings, there is not a large difference, Intel a smidge faster across the board but Ryzen 2600X certainly good enough to be in the same class.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed, I would take Ryzen 5 2600X over non K i7 as well unless I was building a super miniature rig in which case the i7 - 8700 non-K might be a little easier to cool.

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

But the CPU needs to keep up since its just an Ryzen 5 2600x, i just want no bottle-necking to happen.

At 4K the processor does play a second role. The most load goes to the GPU.

GPU performance at 4K

CPU performance at 4K

As you can see, even a Ryzen 1300X would keep up very well at 4K.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube