add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Rx 580 vs Gtx 1660.

Grommus

4 months ago

Howdy all,

Building a budget pc for my sister and in australia both of the cards in the title are pretty closely priced and i need help on which to go with?

I know the amd card is a little cheaper and comes with bonus games which makes it very appealing but will the gtx 1660 have a much longer life span?

Cheers.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

1660 More performance now and a newer architecture that hasn't been fully optimized yet.

580 Lower performance and pushing 3 years old already since it is nothing more then an overclocked 480.

The 1660 is going to keep settings higher longer there is no debate there.

580 if You value the games only has that going for it currently if the pricing is close.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Life span is tricky to gauge. There are 10000+ games out there right now that a 1660 will play. Two years from now those games will play the same as they do today. Question becomes how new games will play. With a new generation of consoles due in 2020, developers (whom develop for consoles and then port to PC's) will be able to push the graphics, physics and so on to the next level, no longer burdened by the constraints of the old hardware. It is inevitable that games appearing 2020 and onwards could challenge GPU's far more than they do today. We cannot predict the future. The GTX 1660 is a better card than the 580, but the 580 is quite a good price. Your call, but I would not look at futureproofing regarding purchasing one of these GPU's.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube