• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

molson23 10 days ago

I have been driving myself crazy trying to decide on my next monitor(s) and I think I have settled on a LG 34UC88-B 34" ultrawide. The resolution is 3440 x 1440. My current video card is a 1060, but I am planning to upgrade. Before the last revision I told myself I was finally going to get a top of the line GPU but then the 2080 price came out and I think I'm happier with the mid-range :) But now I'm wondering if a 2070 is still more than I would need to enjoy the LG. So, is the 2070 overkill for what I need? I will be doing productivity, photo editing (maybe some video editing) and old man gaming, meaning the best specs wont help me anyway so why pay for them.

Comments Sorted by:

ImperiousBattlestar 1 point 10 days ago

The 2070 is quite enough for that monitor.

Defm325i 1 Build 1 point 10 days ago

When you say "old man gaming" I'm assuming you're talking about the stuff I like too, like old school PC games where a 1060 is still like 10X what you would actually need to run them. If that's the case, and also considering the other stuff you mentioned doing, the 1060 you have would be just fine for the new ultrawide monitor. It wouldn't struggle at all unless you played newer games on it.

DrLitch 1 Build 1 point 10 days ago

2070 nowhere near overkill if you like to dabble with new games. If you want highest in game settings and smooth 60fps plus gameplay, you could easily be in 2080 Ti territory. 2080 at a minimum. 2070 will work fine though, I would not worry. PC games are great in that you can tweak settings.

2070 might be overkill if, like me, you spend majority of time on games that are 5+ years old or retro and would run on Intel HD graphics let alone a decent GPU. Do not need much power to run Icewind Dale for instance which is my current game I am playing....

molson23 submitter 1 point 10 days ago

Thanks for the responses! When I said old man gaming, I meant I'm too slow and bad at games that I'm not looking to eek the last 3% of performance out. I play modern and old games and the geek in me wants to max out every setting but I also don't want to spend $$$ for something I probably wont notice anyway. I'm likely getting the 2070, now I'm waffling on if I should get a better monitor... :)

molson23 submitter 1 point 10 days ago

This monitor decision is seriously never going to end. LOL. Do you guys think a 2070 would have any problem driving 3840 x 1600 @ 60 or 75 fps? Say for Battlefield V?

mayatola 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

Just to give you an idea, I'm running the 2080 Ti with the Dell AW3418DW (3440x1440 120hz). Even with this card (EVGA FTW3 Ultra running at 2025 MHz), I still can't run Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Battlefield 5, Metro Exodus, or Assassin's Creed Origins and Odyssey at a locked 120fps on ultra settings. Mostly averaging around 90 frames with Metro having lows of even 55fps. Of course I can turn down some settings, but anyway, just giving you an idea that you should always just get the best video card that you can reasonably afford. It won't be overkill unless you play at 1080p and refuse to upgrade your monitor.

molson23 submitter 1 point 8 days ago

Thanks for the info! I ended up getting a Dell U3818DW so I'm capped at 60hz. Seems like I will be okay. I've never used any monitor over 60hz so I'm hoping I can max settings at 60fps. If i can do that I will just never look at a monitor that can do more than 60hz and be happy :)

mayatola 1 Build 1 point 8 days ago

Ah nice. If you enjoy it, that's all that matters!