add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

It seems that Seasonic's "new" S12III is actually WORSE than the S12II...

Pawacorn

8 months ago

The S12III still lacks OTP and OCP just like the S12II. It also appears to still be group regulated. They changed the fan to a sleeve bearing instead of a fluid dynamic bearing, and now the Life Expectancy is 30,000 hours at 40 °C instead of 50,000 hours at 40 °C. Also, the S12 III has a Taiwanese capacitor instead of a Japanese capacitor which the S12 II had.

Looks like a downgrade instead of an upgrade. No wonder they are so cheap.

Comments

• 8 months ago
  • 3 points

The S12III still lacks OTP and OCP just like the S12II.

... According to specs. Countless times have psu manufacturers stuffed up the product page. We have no idea what protection IC it uses.

It also appears to still be group regulated

No. It has independent voltage regulation through dual-magnetic amplification.

They changed the fan to a sleeve bearing instead of a fluid dynamic bearing, and now the Life Expectancy is 30,000 hours at 40 °C instead of 50,000 hours at 40 °C.

Looks like a downgrade instead of an upgrade

Fan |= longevity. If it's well designed, the unit could last longer.
You seem to be forgetting this a complete redesign of the decade old predecessor.
https://post.m.smzdm.com/p/aoo69md7/

As far as we know, it's actually solid competitor in the budget market.
LLC + Indy voltage regulation for $40?!
My only complaint so far is it's outsourced to RSY.

• 8 months ago
  • 1 point

https://aphnetworks.com/reports/seasonic-s12iii-500w/3

You can see that it's group regulated. According to this article, it still lacks OTP and OCP. OTP isn't usually handled by a protection IC anyway as it's generally on its own circuit.

The 12v and 5v are regulated together and the 3.3v is independently regulated. This is a classic group regulated design. There's no great view but I don't see a Switcher before the transformer that regulates the 12v output, further confirming the group regulated design.

It uses 85c capacitors, not that great. Corners were definitely cut here.

Now granted, this was on the 500w version. The higher wattage version may very well be using magamp, a form of independent regulation. Hopefully it has a better Protection IC to include OCP and can include OTP somewhere, too, but I am not hopeful.

I don't see this being better than Corsair's CX (2017) series, which is LLC + DC-DC will full protections (including 12v OCP).

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

You can see that it's group regulated

No, I can't. I can see two coils for the minor rails. Similar independent voltage regulation to the integra -

https://www.computerbase.de/2014-11/fractal-design-integra-m-450-watt-im-test/3/

It uses 85c capacitors, not that great. Corners were definitely cut here.

Not sure where you're getting that from... The reviewer states they're all 105C. You can't even get Teapo 85C radials that would work in a psu secondary.

According to this article, it still lacks OTP and OCP.

... Who most likely ready the spec sheet of the S12iii, as they didn't even bother to specify which supervisor IC it uses.

• 8 months ago
  • 2 points

There's no great view but I don't see a Switcher before the transformer that regulates the 12v output, further confirming the group regulated design.

Switcher before the transformer that regulates 12v... Have you got any example (from any PSU) of what exactly you're talking about?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube